SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Glass mosaic backsplash finally finished in MCM Ikea kitchen

jakabedy
14 years ago

This is the Sumi-e tile from Lunada Bay in the stacked brick pattern. The color is Sendai in the silk finish. After obsessing for months over tile and spending much more than I'd hoped, I'm pleased to say I'm very happy with the result. (The cabinets are Ikea Nexus Yellow-Brown, and the countertop Zodiaq Papyrus). Ours is a rustic MCM with lots of rough woods, pavers and a wooded rural setting, so the irregularities in the tiles and the subdued silk finish really worked for us.

The Sumi-e is a paper-face glass mosaic, so was a bit tricky for us DIY-ers to do. I'd say it took us a good 9 hours the day we set the tile, and involved the cutting down of tiles that were only 1" x 1/2" to begin with! Another couple hours to grout and clean a few days later. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you are a TKO perfectionist with a willing and able spouse, you can do it, too.

All that remains is the range hood and repainting of the pantry doors, so after this weekend we should be D.O.N.E. and ready for the FKB.

The dreaded "before" photo (the great fridge went to a new loving home where it will be restored and glorified):

Before:

Comments (8)