SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhcibtpaun

IPE - Bristol Valley Hardwoods

hhcibtpaun
16 years ago

OK, first post here, but I spent the last few hours combing over all the IPE threads I could find. I think I have all the same questions countless others have had. At first glance I was going to go with 5/4 x 6 Pre-Grooved and the hidden fasteners, now 1x6 with HeadCoate screws may be the way to go????

I guess my first question would be, has anyone ever dealt with Bristol Valley Hardwoods in upstate NY (www.bristolvalley.com/)? I am in PA and the local guy will not sell me IPE boards in 16ft lengths. I am basically constructing a 500 ft2 deck with all 16ft boards to eliminate the need for butt joints.

I talked with the guy at Bristol Valley and he seems reasonable and knowledgeable. They have 16ft boards in stock ready to go. Any one have experience with them?

Now, some general questions. Using 5/4x6 pregrooved boards with hidden fastening is the most expensive option, and the 1x6 with screws is the least expensive. The differential is roughly $1200.00. I don't mind spending the extra money, I just want to do the job right.

I am running 16" centers, and there will be two levels to the deck. The lower level sits about 50" above ground and the upper level 57". It should have enough circulation. With all that said will the 1x6 boards work? Do the HeadCoat screws look decent. I originally did not want to see any of the fasteners, but I guess even with the hidden systems, you have to see something. I also thought of using plugs, but that may introduce more issues with sanding and the like.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have no desire to "cheap out", but it seems like face screwing the 1x6 boards might be the better solution. I assume from a strength standpoint the 1x6 IPE will be much stronger than 5/4 Composites or PT lumber. I just don't want to get my deck done and find out I have a springboard. If I have to spend the money on 5/4 I will. I just have no conception of the wood.

Any help on the general questions or comments on Bristol Valley would be appreciated.

Thanks...Mike

Comments (2)