SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threeleafclover

Concrete patio, 2500 psi doomed to crack??

13 years ago

Hi All,

We just had a patio poured in the backyard. We specified to the contractor that we wanted at least 3000 psi concrete, after he initially gave us a quote for 2500 psi. I asked my DH to remind the guy the day before the pour to order 3000 psi. He never made that call and the concrete truck shows up with 2500 psi. Having five men ready to pour with a couple of them assuring me that 2500 vs. 3000 is insignificant, I felt pressure to just let them pour. The contractor said that the mix was 2500 psi with fibers and pea gravel. They also laid rebar, used a thin layer (approx. 1 1/2") of compacting sand, and put in control joints. The slab is 4" thick. Also, before the concrete prep, my DH dug and filled the area approximately 3" deep with 3/4" gravel and sand. The contractors also used a tamper/compactor. The concrete was poured two weeks ago and there is one crack so far, about 12" long radiating from where the concrete was poured around our plastic drainage pipe. I know all concrete cracks, but I was wondering if this slab will most certainly have major cracking because it is only 2500 psi, or if the preparation before the pour and the mix they used was enough to prevent this cracking? Overall, the workers were great and the patio looks nice, but I am so focused on the concrete strength and the fact that I buckled under pressure. Thanks in advance for your response!

Comments (4)