SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindymike

Acetone on Ipe - Follow-up

17 years ago

There was a great discussion here last fall on this topic, with several chemists weighing in, but little real-world experience. The main advantage I see to using acetone over acid / percarb type cleaners is that it evaporates completely, whereas other systems have to be neutralized / rinsed off. I decided to be the acetone on ipe guinea pig, and am finally reporting back.

I installed my deck last fall, cleaning all the boards with acetone before finishing them. (I wiped them all down individually with a towel soaked in acetone. Acetone evaporates very quickly, so you cannot do a large area at once, and it is very flammable as well, so you don't want a whole lot of acetone out in the open at once. I also wore a cartridge type respirator mask) I stained with TWP 116, 2 coats, no wiping, I think in October/ November. We had a some rain and snow early in the winter, and when the ice melted away in January, much of the built-up stain was gone. During a warm spell in January, I restained. By April / May, I had to restain again. After a very rainy May and June, it looks like it's ready for another coat. I have not had any problems with mold or mildew (at least not yet), or other types of stains. It just seems like the stain washes off easily. This seems to be in line with what I have read from some other posters here, that for the first year or so, you will be reapplying the stain frequently, although it seems to be at odds with John Hyatt's experience.

I should also mention that I sanded some areas of some boards. This appears to have had no ill effect at all, as you can't tell any difference in adhesion between areas that were sanded and those that were not. Iused coarse paper (36 grit on a belt sander, or coarse emery cloth for hand sanding), and followed with acetone wash. This was to eliminate heavy chatter marks, stains from steel bands or whatever, etc.

Any other acetoners out there?

Comments (6)