SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevekat_gw

Capping Joists to Prevent Rot

15 years ago

I have just repaired the joist structure on a couple of my decks. This is involved replacing some, sistering others, using fiberglass resin to fill in minor sections, reinforcing, blocking, etc. The main joist system for the decks are mostly extensions of the house floor joists. Some of the deck are elevated, second story etc. It would be very expensive on another round of renovation years from now if the joists degrade further to repair them. It would involve going into the house and ripping up floors to either repair or sister the joists extending from the house.

The new decking material is Garapa 1 x 6.

Are they any recommendations or suggestions on capping the joists, to prevent dry rot and/or insect damage. I was thinking about some type of mastic tape such as 'deck flash barrier', 'rot not' pvc joist caps, or perhaps metal caps made using coated gutter material, or other material bent for proper width to cap single and double joists. Any new joist material is treated.

Any experience with this or other methods, or anyone to opine of the efficacy of such systems?

The deck is in So Cal, so not huge rain. The existing system made it pretty well through 30 years, but time took its toll. Would like to get a really long run out of this refurb.

Comments (7)