SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flattie_2007

Anyone use Australian Timberoil Amberwood, Natural or Flaming Mah

flattie_2007
16 years ago

ogany...lol... First post here. There is a tremendous wealth of information here. Apparently I just saved myself some heartache 1 year from now - I was THIS close to using some Thompsons Water Seal on a new Pressure Treated deck. Whew, close one. It looks like the liberalization of NY has caused Cabots and TMP to reformulate their products to reduce VOC's - these products seem to get consistently good reviews here. Having said that I'm leaning towards the ATO since I can get it easily close by to where I live. I'm trying to decide between the ATO amberwood, natural, and flaming mahogany to be applied over PT wood that has weathered for 1 months time. I was able to obtain a "sample" pint of flaming mahogany for the LOWE price of @$5 - money well spent when weighted against the all but inevitable "Honey I think it's too dark...." comment that would potentially result in challenging my sanity and the very least the consumption of mass quantities of adult beverages...lol. Anyway, I have been unsuccesful in locating pint sized "samples" of ATO in either Amberwood or Natural and was wondering if anyone had pic's of these finishes on top of newish PT wood? By the way, my plan of attack is going to be based on pressureguys excellent posts where I'll hit it with some oxygen based bleach and follow up with oxallic acid and if by then if I'm still standing I'll finish myself off with the rapid application of some cold brewskis...

So if anyone has seen the ATO amberwood or natural as compared to the flaming mahogany on PT wood I would be very interested in hearing about darkness vs orangyness(spelling is that even a word?) vs protection.

Thanks all

Comments (7)

• deckman22
    16 years ago

The green color of the TP will show thru either the natural or amberwood finish. The natural will show only a tint of color change & a bad choice IMO. The amberwood won't look much different. I would suggest the mahogany flame color as it will last the longest. TWP rustic would be a better choice.

I have not used Ken's new Woodzotic finish, but if it's like his other products it would be the thing to use.

Al

• bronwynsmom
    16 years ago

When we built our deck last year, this forum was our bible...we used ATO Mahogany Flame on cypress, and it looks wonderful. I had 4 ounce samples of all the colors sent to me by Cabot and tried them all - I, too, worried that the MF was too dark or red, because the inital contrast with the unfinished wood looks dramatic when you start to put it on...but outdoors, against my brick walls, it looks far nicer and more elegant than any of the others would have. And because all red finishes (paint, car paint, everything..) tend to fade in sunlight, the redness softened in a few months. All the lighter colors look too new, and contrast too much with the colors of earth and plants. The darker tone settles into the landscape much better.
    On Friday we are moving, and the deck was a big draw...our buyers fell madly in love with it...
    (Hello, John and Ken...hope you are well!)

• Penelope
    16 years ago

We have a new deck made with Procell decking and railings made with aluminum balusters and mahogany rails. Actually, it's one of the close cousins of mahogany, meranti or cambera or something. The fresh wood was gorgeous, a pinky-brown color. Based on recommendations from neighbors and the carpenter we decided to use the Cabot ATO. I didn't like the mahogany flame one neighbor used on his mahogany deck because it was very dark, so based on the color samples in the Cabot's brochure I picked the honey teak. The result, with one coat, is still quite dark. I don't think it looks bad but my spouse was just heartsick over it.

The carpenter made a small shed door out of the same material and, in an effort to keep it lighter, I bought the Cabot ATO in natural. It's still quite dark. In fact, I think that the differences between the Cabot colors are actually pretty minimal, much closer together than the brochure color samples would lead you to believe. All are darker than I like. I realize that there's not much that will stand up to weather and be colorless and transparent, but if I had it to do again I probably wouldn't choose the Cabot ATO.

• flattie_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all that have responded. I will with some trepidation be applying the ATO in Mahogany Flame sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'll take some before and after photos.

• flattie_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well the PT deck has been cleaned with oxygenated bleach and subsequently stained/sealed with Cabots ATO in Mahogany Flame. I'm pleased and more importantly so is my significant other. I followed pressurepro's tips on staining a deck (wagner HVLP for railings and lambswool for deck flooring) and it went as well as I could have hoped. Thanks to all that chimed in... If anyone can tell me how to post photo's I'll gladly do so both before and after...

• parafly9
    16 years ago

I'm going to be applying this to the front covered porch this week. Hope it comes out good!

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

HI Ya Mom!!!! A big Hodwy right back at Ya!!! J.