SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

Fam room window covering advice PLEASE?

home4all6
13 years ago

I love to lurk on this forum, but don't offer much advice as decorating is NOT my thing. But I am coming to you with a request that has stumped me for months, and no one I know has given me any good, definitive advice on it. And unfortunately, bare windows will no longer be a viable option soon, as the new houses are nearly completely built behind us, and this room is a fishbowl at night :)

We removed a huge wall of ancient sliding doors, and put in this stained french door and white painted wood window seat and bay window. The rest of the walls are painted white paneling. The floors are a dark wood, that matches the stain on the doors.

The door is a swing-in door, where the right side opens up ONTO the left side. We use it often to access the deck outside.

The bay window has 3 panels, the 2 on the sides are 12.5 inches wide, while the middle is 55 inches wide. They're all 55 inches tall. The 2 side panels crank out, but the middle is just a picture window.

Here are some photos:

(Please excuse all the mess--I just snapped these last 2 quickly right now, while the first was more "staged" obviously :)

I am not much of a window treatment girl. Really have none on any of my windows. I'm just not good at them, and definitely like things simple.

So, here's what I am thinking...

Roller shades, inside mounted on the 3 separate windows of the bay. Why? Because they will roll up fairly small at the top, so won't cut off much of the view outside. I was thinking in a natural-looking fabric like this:

I really like sipmle, natural woven shades, but they would cover so much of the window when they were pulled up, and I can't find any that come only 12.5 inches wide. The roller shades seems like one of my few options.

But I also need to be able to cover up the french door windows, too, at night. I don't think I can mount something on the door, because it won't be able to fold back on itself then. SO, I need to mount it over the top of the door? In the door frame? Or higher? And should it be the same material? Also a roller shade? Or they offer a roman roller shade, which says, "Enjoy the graceful look and fashion appeal of a Roman-style fabric or woven shades in any of our popular, easy-care roller materials, including room darkening fabrics perfect for media rooms, nurseries and bedrooms. This classic window shade hangs flat when lowered, folds up neatly and compactly at the top when fully raised."

But then won't that look strange? With those mounted above the door and the others inside-mounted on the bay? Should I try to mimic that look on the bay window? I'm afraid that mounted something on or above the frame of the bay will look funny, as there will be so much space between the actual windows and the shade. (My kids will think it's a stage curtain for doing plays :) Or create some sort of mathcing valance for both? Or...what???

Well, as you can see, if you actually got this far, that I really need help! I am so lost on this, and they are going to cost quite a bit of money, so I really want to get it right. Any thoughts, advice, or pictures would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: my home

Comments (9)