SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
howl_gw

Cedar fence, mildew, chemicals and sanding

howl
15 years ago

Hello all. I've read some very helpful threads on this forum and finally decided to toss out my own questions. I have 4000 square feet of cedar fence. The fence has vertical boards whereby a six inch board is followed by a recessed 2.5 to 3.25 inch board (I think the back of one of the wider boards on the other side. The wood has very few knots, a rare crack and a rare loose nail. The posts are metal.

I didn't clean it last year, but noted a lot of mildew and about 60% loss of stain. Now the mildew is severe and much of the fence is either black or white. I tried pressure washing, but that damaged too much wood. The pressure needed to remove anything was simply too close to the pressure tearing up the wood.

I then used Behr stripping, followed by their 2 in 1 neutralizer and cleaner with copious water. I brushed in both products, but it was about 95 degrees in bright sun.

The heavy mildew turned to white and wood was dissolved leaving rock hard ridges. I had only done a small section, so I started sanding away. The wood underneath is fantastic and smells like cedar. Some slight graying is impossible to remove completely. It's like it goes through the entire board. It's taken me three weeks to get this far (20% of the job), mainly because of the sanding.

It seems like sanding the whole thing first would be best, followed by the 2 in 1 I already have, a rinse and then 2 coats of the Behr semi-transparent stain from Home Depot I already have purchased. (I know from other threads I should have gotten something else.)

My questions are:

1. What are your thoughts about my current, miserable plan?

2. Does anyone advise a "light" pressure washing, or any other chemical treatment before sanding?

3. My biggest problem: sanding those dang narrow slats. Over half of them I have to do by hand because I cant find a sander that will fit into them. Currently I use the Black and Decker "Mouse"-but I'm concerned I'll go through a couple of them before I'm done. On the wider boards I use a cheap Ryobi belt sander with 50 grit ( gets too hot to use after about thirty minutes), then follow it with a 60 grit 1/4 sheet Dewalt palm sander.

4. I'm open to any other tips. My wife is upset about being a fence widow, and she hates the non-stop noise and constant sanding dust in the pool. The neighbors seem to be understanding.

Looking forward to your comments. Have a great day.

Comment