SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natural_one_gw

My build- glass tile, pebble sheen, travertine, Intellitouch...

natural_one
15 years ago

Well, Im a couple months in and thought Id start a thread to show my progress pics.

Being built by Natural Reflections Pools in AZ.

360 degree perimeter overflow raised fountain into deck slot (all glass tile)

froth fountain with light

2 large baja steps with umbrella sleeves

4 deck jets from back rock planter

3 simple columns with wok pot planters (glass tiled down to pool floor)

Glass waterline tile

Travertine coping and deck area

Artificial turf

PDA operated automation (accessible through any computer with internet)

Variable speed pump

Caretaker infloor cleaning

LED color light

Pebble Sheen interior

DE filter (with undrground backwash pit/no hoses)

the design:

Excavation (triple mini, hand wheel dirt to street)

They finished on day 3 almost in the dark!

Plumbing done and roughed in, steel underway

Shotcrete

Columns built, Glass tile and coping in the works!

Equipment: All Pentair-- Intelliflo pump, Intellitouch with PDA, Whisperflo waterfeature pump, DE filter, Caretaker infloor 5 port valve. (All EQ has now been painted)

Tile well underway

Slot overflow detail

Tile done!

The rest of the deck complete!

And thats where it right now! SHould be wrapping it up quickly. I think I might do some landscaping before it gets the pebble sheen. Thank you for looking!

Comments (63)

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

Very nice,
    and I see they used the best shotcrete company in the valley.
    The only problem I see is when the froth fountain is on, it will make waves and send water all over the deck and into the fake grass.
    Is there a cleaning head in that fountain?
    What kind of light did they put in that. Looks like a spa light, but by code that light would have to be a min of 18" below water.

• Related Discussions

New Pool Build Orange County, CA

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry, dont have any answers for you. But I'm also in OC and would love to see your photos once complete! I got 3 quotes last year and just remodeled my kitchen, so a pool is next on my list. Sounds like you are doing a lot to your backyard with the pool, spa, and BBQ area. Is 14x14 the correct size or was that a typo? I though average sized pool was 16x32.
    ...See More

About to start new build...

Q

Comments (8)
    Intermatic's system is fairly basic. They don't make additional pool equipment such as pumps, filters, etc... like the other manufacturers, the extended warranties the system builders offer, the tighter, built-in integration, make the Intermatic system sort of a odd man out. For those augmenting existing systems with only basic needs, the Intermatic system seems to have a better shot at winning some business. The Phantom is fascinating to watch in action. AFAIK, it is still the only sweep that skims also. However, when skimming, the jet that propels it will knock items down to the floor that are on either side and behind the unit. I prefer to see a sweep stay on the floor and let the pool's skimmer(s) do the skimming. It does have a lot of parts inside and is not always easy to repair. The hose uses small sections of flexible tubing between hard sections of pipe. The constant flexing in the same place is problematic. Eventually, the flexing will take it's toll and that section will need replacing due to leaks, cracking, tears, etc... Scott
    ...See More

Emperia glass and stone blend as waterline tile?

Q

Comments (7)
    Another nice tile manufacturer is Bisazza or Bissazza. I think its one "s" . Made in Italy, warehoused in Fla. They have gorgeous glass mosaics, starts at about that tile price point, can go over $200 a sheet for tiles imbedded with gold or silver. I used to sell it at a store called The Great Indoors, its a Sears company, there are about 16 stores throughout the US and they do frequent sales, you may save some money going that route. Only drawback is if its not in stock in Fla, the delivery time from Italy is 4 to 6 weeks. Hope ;this helps Barb
    ...See More

Blue Granite Pebble Sheen Looks VERY Green

Q

Comments (14)
    I am in NE Phoenix/Scottsale, AZ area. The travertine is 12x12 bullnose around the edge of the pool and the rest is 6x12 tumbled pavers. We haven't been on it too much when it is wet, but it hasn't been slippery. I think being tumbled makes it not slippery. The whole process took about 45 days, maybe just slightly more to build the pool. They started Sept 13th and the pebble sheen was installed on Oct 31st. I was impressed with the speed the pool was built. They moved fast and even worked all day on Saturdays. I actually caused about a week delay because I could not decide on the waterline tile. My builder actually had to go to the tile store and pick up a sample of the tile I chose since he didn't have a sample. You can't see it in the picture, but it has some gold/brown it which causes it to slightly sparkle in the sun. I don't remember the stone color, but it was in the gold tone range. Some of the choices had more grays in it. It is individual linear stones and the top is flagstone. My pool builder said the pool probably had some algae in it which is why it was greener than any start up pool he had seen. And it got greener after the first day of fill. It had been in the mid-90's when the pool got filled, so it was hot to have it without chemicals in it.
    ...See More
  • natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just a pb....

The froth fountain will have a removable stub up. I will play with the desired height, but Im guessing I will end up cutting it just below the surface and wont run it very high, or very ofen at that as the feature is more designed to be reflective than a fountain. The spillover issue was thought through a lot. I was going to slope the vertical walls slightly out to catch the spilling water more but I didnt really want that look. I wanted 90* everywhere. And I realy didnt want to make the deck slot any bigger than it already is.
    My electrician talked me into putting a light in it last minute. Again, we'll see how much I use it.
    No, there is not a cleaning head in it. I was worriedthat with sufficient pressure to that head toclean right I would blow water out of the whole fountain. The light is ony 8" underwater but is to code. :)
    Oh, and yes, Fisher is great. You are clearly familiar with the blury little logo you can see on one guys shirt.
    What company are you with? if you dont mind...

Have a good one.

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

Sorry,
    I was sounding a little neg.
    Your pool is awesome, and the french grey will be the perfect finish.
    Coulda shoulda woulda, would have done a single fiber optic light in the foam jet.

I own a high end pool company in north scottsdale.

• neilaz
    15 years ago

Is your deck dry set? What color is your travertine? Do you know where they got it?

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just a pb,
    no worries. I wasnt trying to sound defensive if I came off that way too....just explaining my thought process.
    Fiber could have been done... we use a lot of crystal fountains on our fiber jobs. Like I said, the light was an after thought the day before shotcrete. I dont plan to live at this house for much longer...the next pool will be much more fun.
    high-end in north scottsdale. Hmm.. I wont start the guessing game. Im sure we know of eachother though. Glad to see another az builder on here.

Neilaz... dry set, yes. We did a 12" x 12" footer with steel for the border row, but the middle section is compacted sand set with polymeric.
    You can find thick travertine pavers at most any stone supplier locally.

• birdbath
    15 years ago

Hi Natural One,

I just wanted to say again that I absolutely LOVE your pool! So stunning! I can't wait to see this with water. It will be a real show stopper.

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

Natural,
    Who does your glass work,
    My tile guy hates working with it. I used another company on one glass install, quality was awesome but rediculous price.

Oh keep trying your getting close.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

birdbath- thank you!

just a pb... haha, you wont even tell me who you are and Im supposed to start handing my subs names out? cmon. its not that easy :)

glass tile is a beast. And az doesnt even have great companies. There are 2 companies that claim to be experts, but they are faaaaar from it. Than there are 2 others that are decent but VERY expensive. I have two complete glass tile pools going right now.. and I wish I could say I have the options that CA. builders do.

hmm...now you have me wondering. not that these are all "high end" but see if I get it in this mix.
    advanced pool concepts, aqua essence, harmony, monesyworth, piscina, dreamscapes, hop cassidy, elite pools by louise, azul verde?

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

For your all glass pools you are probably using Azul?
    Glass not done right and AZ sun turns the mosaics in to popcorn. They just start a poppin.

Wow, your like a shotgun blast, shooting all around me but no hits. We have been pretty high on the permits list, 4th and 5th for a while. That must mean the rest of the valley is in the tanks, because we arent that big.
    Monkeys worth, dreamscrapes oh another one thats getting ready to bite the dust.

So how do post pics on this thing, I will show you my little pool.

Are you a member of the new apsa, or whatever the initials are this week?

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just-a-no-named-pb...
    (jab jab)
    Nope... Im pretty unsure about azul. I know a couple stories about the owner/s that make me uneasy to enter into double digit contracts with them. That and when you call the 602 number a guy in california answers on his cell and from there you dont get a call back. But that's not the issue, it's the confirmed stories that scare me.

well Im almost out of shotgun shells to keep blasting names out there.
    Quick question...do you use infloor cleaners? which one and how long have you used them? I'll explain later...

and I mentioned how to post pictures in some other thread you and I are talking in. but again, use photobucket and upload pictures there. From there it gives you 4 "codes" under each picture you upload. Use the HTML code and just copy and paste.

Yeah, we're members but have only caught one or two meetings recently.

Tyler

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

I am a platnum member with Caretaker, probably 5 years or better. I started out with A n A, and thought caretaker was a little better. Andrew with Paramount has been after me hard to switch. Just dont like making Paddock rich.

I will try the photo bucket, thanks

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

so.....
    green tag and a verbal go for sheen tomorrow. Pretty excited to see this thing get one step closer to finished.
    I'm not couting on sheen until I see the crew.
    just-a-pb...still remain anonymous huh?

• pooldazed
    15 years ago

This pool is beautiful. I have seen some of your pools here and on your website and they really show some inspiration. I was thinking about trying something similar in my landscape. Where does the channel around the fountain drain? Is the drain in the fountain still an anti-vortex drain and is it tied into another drain?

• anmei
    15 years ago

This is amazing pool! Do you finished pictures? I would love to see it! Please post it! What is Intellitouch? Where did you get the glasstile? Thanks.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pooldazed-
    Thank you very much. The channel just drains into the pool. The floor of that trough is -4" from bond beam, so it always has water. I actually will admit I would have done it differently if I did it again. I guess the next client will get it the way I really would want it.
    The tiled drain lid is actually a return. I did that so I can let water in and have a very even disperssed flow that shouldnt affect the glass like effect Im trying to get with it running over.

anmei-
    Im home now waiting for my acid wash and polish. Maybe full of water by tomorrow with landscaping starting soon! so excited... its only 113* or so today. hehe

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

Okay, Natural One, Birdbath's pool is done and I am dying to see your finished pool! LOL! Yours looks like a pool that could be on the cover of Metropolitan Home -- I can't wait to see the finished product!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see pics of the pool with water. Pics, Pics, Pics...

• anmei
    15 years ago

Hello, Natural One, where can I get the glass tile like yours? I live in Texas. Our PB didn't give us much selections. Please help, any website I can get the tile like yours? I love your glass tile...Thanks.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey all,

I'll get pics up this weekend. Im actually up in BigFork Montana visiting my parents. I finished the pool and then had to hand the keys to the house over to a friend to watch it. Im sure he's been swimming more than I have so far!
    anmei, check DalTile, Oceanside, Boyce and Bean, Jeffrey Court, and others. I tried to pick one I had never seen....and be ready to spend some $$$ for a quality glass tile. Have your tile contractor or PB do reaearch to make sure it will work in an everchanging wet/dry environment and that is comes mounted in a manner that allows for a 95% bond.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, some newer pics. Landscaping should hopefully be starting soon. Waiting on a plan and a bid for artificial turf.

a recent fire near my house (with the wrong size wok pots the precast company delievered, haha.)

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

NaturalOne -- I have been waiting to exhale.

****SIGH****

This is one absolutely gorgeous pool! Definitely worth the wait! I can't wait to see the completely landscaped hard (and hope you'll share)! The glass tile and columns really make the classic rectangular design stand out! What are the inner dimensions of your pool? I think the triple single columns add so much interest (I am planning a rectangle with raised beam and sheer descents, but between your and PoolMissy's pools, I'm liking the columns with wok pots more and more. Beautiful pool! You're in the homestretch now. Congrats on a job well done.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

riesenschwimmer,
    thank you a ton. your first comment made my laugh.

Its been sooo fun to build. I truly got a sense of what all my clients get to go through...ups and downs. I have a much greater appreciation for my project managers and for my clients now being on this side of the build.

The inner dimensions are 18x27 (excluding the overflow fountain.)

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

Teeheehee! Glad you got a chuckle, and thanks so much for sharing your beautiful build.

• jmas65
    15 years ago

Wow, natural one - that is a beautiful pool. Very nice job!

How long have you been building pools?

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jmas,

Personally, I have been building for 5 years... I do have pictures of me in diapers out around pool construction though. My father started in the late 60s, so I grew up in the industry I guess. The license we use today is actually the original license he used. He stopped building full time in the late 80s to pursue two huge advancements the pool industry uses today. Come to think of it, both are part of my pool...and a large majority of the members pools here too. I dont mention that on here though. He sold those two companies and we have been back full time building since then. And I can honestly say I love it. My mom is the artist and my dad is the inventor/builder... and here I am. haha

• jmas65
    15 years ago

Makes sense - some of your posts make it seem as if you haven't been in the business for a long time; in fact, you've been in all your life. Congratulations again on your beautiful build. Enjoy it!

• anthemguy
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning.

I am sorry if I missed it, what color PebbleSheen is used here?

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jmas,
    Thank you for the compliments. Just curious, what posts seem as if I havnt been in the business for a long time?

anthemguy:
    Thank you, and French Grey Sheen.

• pooldazed
    15 years ago

I love the pictures, the black & white ones give it a totally different look. I love the way the water smoothly comes over the sides. You previously responded that "The channel just drains into the pool. I actually will admit I would have done it differently if I did it again. I guess the next client will get it the way I really would want it." Out of curiousity what would you do differently with this work of art.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pooldazed,

I think Id actually do two things differently on the fountain, one aesthetic and one personal preference.
    The aesthetic one is how I fed the water back into the pool. It overflows into the channel and out to the pool on the same level. My coping actually creates 2 bridges over the channel on the pool side. They are only visible from the back side of the pool looking at the house. This happened because during steel I actually decided to have the coping go in between the pool and the fountain. It was going o be a tiled face that spilled directly down into the pool. Thats hard to explain...lol If I would have planned it from the beginning I would have done gravity fed lines with return fittings or grates in the pool to hide where the water goes, opposed to the open troughs. again, this is rarely visible.

The other is personal preference....I would make the height shorter. I think it looks fine, but I think it could look a little more dramatic 3-5inches lower. maybe/maybe not :)

• jmas65
    15 years ago

natural one,

After I posted, I thought "I shouldn't have said that." I guess it was just a feeling - not sure if it is your willingness to ask questions (which is admirable, imo) or if it the fact that you are building yourself a new pool, or saying that you have a better appreciation of what your clients feel like - maybe all put together made me think you were somewhat new to the biz. Anyway, my intention was certainly to compliment your design and nothing else.

Anyway, super job on your pool! I know who I would call if I lived in your neck of the woods...

• houseful
    15 years ago

Wow! It looks fabulous! It would be neat to see the completed project taken from the same angle as the original rendering. Is that possible?

Just wondering why you are going with artificial turf. All I know is my son played football on it and they had to pour water on their shoes to cool their feet. Either way, it's going to be great with all the green around it!

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jmas,
    No offense taken, I was just curious. I hear what you are saying now... Im the first to admit I dont know everything and the first to put my pride aside to ask questions on here...especially to get answers from people who work with products I have never worked with (like repair guy).
    By understanding what my clients go through, I meant that I know what it feels like when a sub cant make it out the day they were supposed to...or the nerves you feel during and inspection because you want pebble that next day so bad, or a little rain that you know is going to hold up the project...things like that.
    Thank you for the compliments though.

Houseful,
    Taking the picture from that exact angle is impossible as I actually put in an open dungeon with pythons right there. I would fall in it and probably die if I tried.

I kid, I kid. I will definitely try and get one soon enough. We actually do this on most of our designs when done to compare the results with the rendering. Its amazing how exact it comes out sometimes.
    Artificial turf....well, there are several different types out there right now. Some are actually filled with black sand...you can imagine how hot that can get. Others are filled with rubber pellets, some a silicon bead of some sort, and many others Im sure. I have friends that have it in their whole backyard and their's doesnt get unbearably hot. I wanted it for simplicity/maintenance. Also, having it that close to the pool would constantly be a mess when mowing etc...or at least I tell myself that. After getting a couple bids Im not all that sure my wife and I are willing to do it at this house, as we dont plan on living here for years and years. we'll see. Thanks for your compliments!

• houseful
    15 years ago

At least they're pythons and not rattlesnakes - one of which my 2-year-old stubbled upon last month!

Don't assume the artificial turf isn't messy. It sticks to your shoes and legs like crazy. The stuff was all over our bathroom after my son would take his shoes and socks off in there to shower. I didn't realize what it was the first couple times. Maybe you won't be rough-housing on yours, but just be warned.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

eesh... a 2 yr old? That's scary. A designer of mine almost knelt on one on tuesday.

What was sticking to your shoes? the blades of grass or the fill (sand/beads, etc)?

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

Hey, NaturalOne. I, too, am considering synthetic grass due to my pack of canines. I've included a link to a company that offers several varieties of synthetic grass (including a few which DO NOT require any type of infill).

Here is a link that might be useful: SynLawn

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

riesenschwimmer...

Oh yeah, SynLawn. I drive by their office quite often in Scottsdale. It seems like they carry very nice products.
    I'll check em out. Thank you!

• houseful
    15 years ago

Very scary! It was a baby one hiding under a pool float.

My son doesn't really what was sticking to him, but it was more of a black color than green. It was, however, flat like small blades of grass. I don't really know how the stuff is made, so maybe it was the fill you mention.

• banana_fanna
    15 years ago

At first, I thought the fire in the above photo was because that is one smokin' hot pool you've got there! :-)

Stunning and elegant. Reminds me that good things come in small packages as I lament the amount of space I have to work with. Plenty of yard, just a pesky waterline to contend with.

I searched through the posts and I don't see mention the color of Pebble that you used. Share? Thanks and congratulations!

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

banana,
    thank you very much! your comment had me laughing.
    The color is french grey pebblesheen.

I got the landscape plan on friday and love it. hopefully start on that in between the monsoon season that is happening as I type.

• bella-orlando
    15 years ago

This is a real nice pool!

What brand is those wok pots? They are hard to get in Orlando.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bella,
    we get ours locally from several companies.
    These ones came from Phoenix Precast.

• piscespool
    15 years ago

Natural One..LOVE LOVE that beautiful pool! Great design work! Just a quick question, since I'm doing some similar things with my (future) pool: glass tile (Lightstreams for waterline and inserts), columns, wok pots with fire rings.
    *I know you won't be in the house long-term, but how would you clean your glass tile (in the event of calcium buildup or just plain maintenance), and have you coated it? Just need an opinion from someone with this much glass before I plunge in. I know I have to keep the pH under very tight control to help prevent scale, but still...things build up.

Thank you for sharing you build and pool pics...very inspirational! Suz

• gina171
    15 years ago

natural_one, I LOVE that pool! Wow!!! Nice to see what a professional does, just beautiful.

I wanted to thank you for sending me those photos of Bordeaux and Majestic Plum...your endorsement of those colors helped us decide to go for it, and we LOVE our new Majestic Plum! THANKS!!!

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

Natural,
    So do you use caretaker?

If so are you going to Atlantis?

• sdkath
    15 years ago

Beautiful pool! Did you get the artificial turf? We are going to put it around our pool too. I just logged on to the synlawn website and ordered some samples too! Thanks.

Katherine

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just-a-pb...
    Yes we do...on probably 95% of our pools. I am not going however and its not due to not enough points. I might explain that to you once I know who you are. haha

sdkath...
    I am going to but its not in yet. I totally have slowed down and am piecing the landscaping together in between all of this rain. The turf will be last.

• just-a-pb
    15 years ago

No I missed the meeting. I was talking to mike long just before he left for the meeting. any good or bad news.

Too bad, this trip sounds like a blast. Maybe I will unveil the cape.

• natural_one
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gotcha. The meeting went well. The handouts could have been much better for people to take with them, otherwise I think there were many good questions asked and answered very well...mostly by Steve Barnes at Pentair who is on many of the councils and committees for the writing of the recent codes.
    There seems to be a fine line as to what a "remodel" is and when the main drains need to be changed. For instance, a drain with an acid wash shouldnt really constitute a remodel, but what if you replace the tile but leave the interior. No one could really come out and say when exactly the main drains or any point of suction needs to be brought up to code. Kinda of a grey area... we dont do a lot of remodels, and when we do they are so extensive we always split the drains and bring it all up to code, but its still good to know.
    I'll be at Atlantis Sept27th -Oct 4th with the wife and some friends. when is the trip? It is atlantis right?