SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matti5_gw

Twist of Kate

matti5
14 years ago

OK, I know we are all sick of her but...

Apparently that is the name of Kate Gosselin's new show on TLC. The premise of the show is that she will travel all over the country meeting families and "living in their shoes". Her kids will not be traveling with her. The fact that she will be spending more time away from her children will only help Jon in his lawsuit.

I realize she is trying to make a living for herself and the kids, but when is she ever home? I feel bad for the 8 kids.

Comments (40)

• enjoyingspring
    14 years ago

I have been wondering that lately too, when is she home to be with her kids and when she is home she is probably too tired to care.

I hope she is saving up her money, I am sure all these kids are going to need expensive therapy once they are older.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Poor kids!

• Related Discussions

Knockout roses twisted leaves & small blooms

Q

Comments (13)
    Ok i have a petite pink drift knockout.. which after replanting to a pot developed a similar sounding problem…first off i realized pot was not draining well so took it out of the pot washed off roots and repotted with new soil. trimmed the branches that had curling leaves back, used Bayer 3 in one fertilizer, antifungal, insecticide granules and worked into soil around base and watered from under foliage. repeated again this season and noticed same with curling leaves and shimmery white coating as well. i cut it back leaving only healthy clear stems and leaves..removed all debris off soil and bagged and tossed. reapplied Bayer and its looking much better. I’ll give it one more season before I rip it out! 😂👍
    ...See More

KBN - Kate Brook Nursery - Greg Williams Volume 2

Q

Comments (10)
    Arrowhead Alpinus mentioned something else about the Picea abies 'Millcreek Broom': PICEA GLAUCA 'MILLSTREAM BROOM'. To tell the truth I got this just for the name, presumably it goes back to Linc Foster. It.s an erect dwarf plant that is a pincushion of stiff needled fox tailed shoots each topped by a prominent bud giving the general impression of a dwarf Picea abies.
    ...See More

WANTED: Cuttings or plant of the rose 'Sequoia Twist'

Q

Comments (1)
    Sequoia Twist is available at cottagefarmsdirect.com it is listed as available now for $9.95 ...good luck, donna Here is a link that might be useful: sequoia twist
    ...See More

Tropical Twist? (Bonnie Hunter)

Q

Comments (19)
    Hey, ladies....I am Debbie at Stitchintherapy.blogspot.com and I noticed a lot of hits from here today. Here's the link to the photo of my variation to star twist. I only added some of the pinwheel blocks mixed with plain blocks to the top and bottom border for length. I was being lazy and got tired of making pinwheels! Btw, this quilt was donated to ALS and was selected for their national quilt tour. Here is a link that might be useful: star twist photo
    ...See More
  • Georgysmom
    14 years ago

No one would say anything if she were a single dad who had to travel for his job.

She is doing everything possible to earn a living to support her children including making a fool of herself on Dancing With the Stars. Obviously Jon isn't doing anything much to support them. I wouldn't want to walk even a half mile in her shoes. If she has someone who is good and capable of helping with the kids while she is gone, more power to her.

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I'll be sure NOT to watch.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I agree with everything Georgysmom said.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Not interested in the adventures of Jon and Kate. But I do feel bad for the kids, as I do The Octomom children. Sad to grow up with cameras , fame, and ridiculously self-absorbed parents.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

What, no mention of the Daggers' ... Diggers' ... Duggers' family's children and their potential problems?

ole joyful

• matti5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Georgysmom - I agree, but I still feel bad for the kids. Speaking from my own experience, not having mom or dad to come home to was tough. I felt abandoned and cheated. I didn't want to be raised by babysitters or family members, I wanted my parents.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I think Kate may be doing the best that she can. I'm not sure what I would do if I were in her shoes. She needs to make money while she can. The kids do have each other there. They aren't stuck someplace alone.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks for the heads up Matti. I hadn't heard that yet.
    I think Kate is doing more for herself than the kids. They need their dad instead of nannys to raise them while she is gone, and she will not allow it.

Trin

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I doubt very much of Jon's girlfriends would be very good at raising the kids. And he doesn't even have a job.

There is no reason to believe that the kids are going to be ruined for life unless they get "counseling." I expect they will be fine.

We really don't know what all is going on in that family. From what I saw watching the show I think Kate has been a good mother. I will watch the new show. How else could I have an opinion about it?

Whatever happened to that old saying that I've seen quoted here so often..."If you can't say something nice, don't say anthing."

Sue

• susan_on
    14 years ago

When Florence Henderson was starring in the Brady Bunch, she said she worked on the opposite coast from where her family lived and for years her family saw her primarily on weekends, when she was too tired to do much with them. I don't recall her facing a lot, if any, criticism over that. Henry Fonda did the same, in fact his children say that they were kept in a separate wing from where their parents lived and were mostly trotted out for photo ops. Kate is just doing what most celebrities or well known people do, as far as sacrificing time with her children to provide financial security for them. If she was more popular, there wouldn't be so much criticism over her working to provide for her children. One thing she's NOT being criticized for - is sitting around on her rear while Jon busts his butt to support her and the children. 'Cause that would NEVER happen.

• Toni S
    14 years ago

She practices at home during the week and goes to the site during taping.

She's not the only one with kids that does the show. I think they should be balled too. It's only fair.

She is a totally lousy dancer but I thought she was a pretty good mom considering what I see here around me these days.
    There are to many parents that think they need a Prozac when they can't handle one kid. She had to juggle 8, oh yea 9, and she did it well. Well cept Jon, who didn't deserve her wrath even if he was worthless.

At least she has always said she wants to get along in front of the kids. Jon doesn't seem to agree. He's more interested in 22 year olds on yachts and parties, which air on Tv every so often. He needs to grow up , she needs to loosen up. IMO

• susan_on
    14 years ago

What Toni said.

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

I totally agree with georgysmom and toni.
    I heard her say on some program today that she has been cutting down on her sleep so she can spend more time with her kids while she has been appearing on DWS.
    Yes,she is a lousy dancer but I give her points for throwing herself out there,knowing there will be criticism,to do the show.I think that takes GUTS! If I were in her shoes I would want to crawl off and hide somewhere.I don't see too many people giving the same level of criticism to some of the other dancing "stars" that have no more talent than she does.
    If anything the kids will need therapy because of Jon more than their mother.

• User
    14 years ago

I think if I had 8 kids I may have to get out of the house too. Jon should have stayed & helped raise all these kids with her, problems or not. I would go nuts doing it all alone.

• sleeperblues
    14 years ago

Didn't Florence Henderson have an affair with the boy who played Greg, I believe while he was a teen? And Henry Fonda had a horrible relationship with his children. But I do agree that at least Kate is out there trying to provide for her family, not dating any young bimbo who will have him like Jon. I cannot believe that he is trying to get custody of those kids. Every picture I see of him with his fat face and his stupid ed hardy shirts makes me want to puke.

• kathleen44
    14 years ago

When they were doing the show with the kids, they were making huge amounts of money, yet, Kate had to travel doing her book tours and that was one complaint that Jon had and Kate knew it that she was on the road and he wanted to stay home which he finally did while she had to go out on the road and he looked after the kids.

And here she is still going out on the road and doing the dancing with the stars show and this new show you say she will have.

The kids are all in school and she has help that look after the kids and I am sure that Jon does alot still with them and for them.

Face it she wants to be a star, wants it all for herself and won't quit until she is number one.

She also wants to live a very high, rich style.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

She has always "fancied " herself as a star. It's not about the kids, it's about Kate and the lifestyle she is accustomed to now..cosmetic surgery, hair extensions, the whole nine yards plus a million dollar mansion. If you would have seen the house they used to live in. She started milking the public here in PA the week the 6 were born.

• dotmom
    14 years ago

It sounds like Lily 316 has had a 'ring-side seat' of the Jon & Kate drama. I agree Kate has to support her brood of 8, but her idea of supporting them is in a bracket most of us could only dream about. She wants everyone to help her live the life of the rich and famous and won't settle for anything else. Jon is a scum and probably deserves what he is getting, but if he is jobless like I have heard, how can he pay $2000.00 a month child support? In my opinion, Kate, if she is truly concerned about her kids, she would live a little less high of the hog, and stay home with them. She had made plenty from the show and books. Obviously, her sights are more set in the stars than being a Mommy. JMO Dottie

• susan_on
    14 years ago

Why, after all this time, hasn't Jon gotten a job? How does he think they should be supported?

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I agree with susan_on and georgysmon......parents HAVE to work! I hear Kate got $200,000 for 10 weeks of dancing with the stars(Heard that on The View). Once kids are in school, which is All day....they are more independant. Kate practices her dancing at her "own" home and only flys in on weekends to film. That's pretty normal "parent time"! :0)

Nooooooooooooooooo. Florence Henderson DID not have an affair with the kid that played Greg. Greg asked her out on a date and said "he" had a crush on her. That is where it ended.

I'm sure there were plenty of children raised by nannys that turned out fine.

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what it costs to raise one child today let alone eight? I don't think Kate is trying to be a "star". I think she's doing whatever she can do to make the most money possible while the opportunities present themselves. Surely flipping hamburgers won't cover it, nor would being a teacher's aid or whatever. Did you see her when she broke down on Dancing With the Stars and said I'm not allowed to let go? Personally, I feel sorry for her (never watched Jon and Kate plus 8) and I give her credit for hanging in there and doing what she can no matter how much wrath she has to endure from her non fans.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Another thought. Kate practices at home. How hard that must be, trying to learn a routine without a partner? No wonder she isn't a better dancer.

According to what I heard on TV, money was set aside, in the divorce settlement, for Jon to pay his Support with. He says TLC has restricted him from working? That is not even possible.

Sue

• marry
    14 years ago

He's an I.T. Tech. If he wanted to work he could probably get a job very easily, but that's an awfully boring 9 to 5, when you're wanting to play with trashy young women and live a playboy lifestyle. She's an RN, but I sure don't think that she could raise 8 kids on a nurses salary.

• teresava
    14 years ago

I agree with Georgysmom take. I don't think she is this evil empire. Is she perfect? No, none of us are. She is trying to support her kids, albeit in a non-traditional way. A regular 9-5 will not support ALL these kids and their future, which hopefully includes college. She can make more working less hours if you average it out. Why aren't people bashing actors and athletes that are away from their families for months at a time?

Frankly, I'm impressed that Kate had them basically all by herself for so long. I am a stay-at-home mom with 2 and there are days I want to run away from it all!! I'll guess that if I got a taste of fame, free swag: clothes, bags etc, nannies, stylists, hair/makeup people I'd like it too! She used to be a nurse (maybe the ER?) and that is definitely NOT a glamorous job.

I have heard of men NOT getting a job so they don't have to pay any child support. I don't know if that is the case here or Jon is just enjoying his "vacation"? Jon needs to grow up and get a job, or provide some Daddy daycare!!

• pris
    14 years ago

Jon isn't penniless. Whatever they owned together will be divided according to the laws of the state they live in and he still gets residuals from the TV series. I'm sure the amount the court assessed was based, in part, on his means to pay it. Now, whether or not he manages not to spend every dime he makes is another story. Kate has 15 minutes of fame so I say let her make as much as she can in those 15 minutes. If she manages it well, her kids will have a good education and a decent place to live. Otherwise, they will have to live on what she can make as a nurse and in either case may have to reduce their lifestyle when the spotlight moves on the the next target.

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

Sue_va: Tony travels with Kate to her home to practice, so she IS NOT without a partner most of the time. From what I heard, Tony wouldn't mind if they get booted off sooner than later, b/c he's had enough of her. Now, that's saying a lot coming from Tony since he's probably one of the most likable and patient male dancers on the show. I donÂt blame him though. After all, Jon left because of her attitude. One can only take so much.

Moving on, this family made millions from their reality show and a good portion was set aside for the children, not to be used by the parents for their own use. Those kids are set for a very long time or at least until they become responsible adults to make their own living.

Kate made a BUNDLE from the show, her book sales, interviews etc. She and Jon are sitting pretty on their own. BTW, Jon pays Kate $20K/month from his TLC earnings for now. From what I read, their $1.1M home was gifted from TLC, so they have no mortgage. They have solar panels on the home which cuts down on their electric. Their vehicle was also a gift.

Another fact is that Kate complains constantly about how much she hates the paparazzi and them following her around. Well, the way I see it, if she hated them that much, she would not be putting herself out there for it to happen. It canÂt be more obvious how she loves the attention and how she is becoming more famous, so she won't stop. She loves it being ALL ABOUT HER, and my next paragraph will prove that.

As far as her new show is concerned, I find it rather selfish that she will be traveling throughout the country spending time with other families and THEIR KIDS, taking her away from being with HER OWN KIDS. This is a slap in the face to her own kids, IMO, having nannies watch them while she's off galivanting to be around other people's families.

For those of you who say she needs to make a living, I agree, but when you put your kids second to yourself to do it (hence the previous paragraph), that's irresponsible. This woman has enough money to live quite comfortably for a very long time taking into account that she doesn't have a mortgage, car payment, very low electric bill, etc). Her problem is that she is used to spending on herself like a real celebrity and buying the kids things they don't need (like a motorized car, etc).

As for Jon, I don't blame him for leaving her. How would you feel living with a bi*ch 24/7 who knocks your self-esteem into the ground by being condescending, self-absorbed, and mean. I've been around people like this, and it's difficult, no matter how strong of a person you are. I even quit a job because of a boss who acted like this.

I canÂt wait to see this woman fall. So IÂm meanÂbut I dislike her that much.

• sleeperblues
    14 years ago

Yesssssssss she did. Just google it. According to Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia, Barry Williams was a casanova who not only bedded her, but Florence Henderson. You can find that info in several independent sources.

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I can't believe the attention these people get. Doesn't speak very well of our society, does it?

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

What debbi_2006 said.****clap, clap, clap****

Trin

• User
    14 years ago

I read the other day that Jon has to pay Kate $21,000 a month child support. Now I could have made a mistake. But where is getting this money if he's not working, or is this all savings from the show?

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Another 'standing ovation' for Debbi_2006. Well said! Dottie

• matti5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbi2006 - well said!

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Debi, where did you read that TLC gave them the house? I kind of doubt it and wouldn't they be wanting the house back since Jon & Kate Plus 8 was cancelled? lol

What I found says that they have a mortage of $720,000 on the new house. The old one did finally sell but for over $20,000 less than they had paid when they bought it.

I think Kate is doing the best she can. She might even be able to work less hours away from home with the new show as opposed to say a 40 to 60 hour work week as a nurse? She wouldn't be able to pay that hefty mortage on a nurse's salary anyhow. She IS popular and she's milking the celebrity status while it lasts... who's to blame her? I guess a lot of people would be happy if Kate stayed at home with the kids 24/7 and collected welfare and food stamps?

The celebrity bashing gets to me. I have no problem bashing people that I actually know :-), but the public only sees what the mass media wants us to see when it comes to celebrities.

• mom24
    14 years ago

Who cares? Honestly? Not one of the people commenting on "Jon and Kate" like they are close personal relatives knows a darn thing other than gossip and speculation. It's a television show. Even if it's a reality television show, it's not 100% reality. It was meant for entertainment. They were paid to entertain. Who knows what happened in the marriage of Jon and Kate and who really cares. All we know for certain is that there are 8 children that need to be fed, clothed, educated, housed and taken care of medically. That is not free. Someone has to provide for those children and however they choose to do that... well, that's their business. Just because someone does something to put them in the public eye, it doesn't mean we have authority to judge her.

• jenuwin
    14 years ago

Nice bunch of sympathetic women posting here. All of course knowing they would be doing much better than Kate if they were in her shoes.
    They say a women's worst enemy is any other woman, and that is on point.
    I don't think she should have ever had 8 kids, but she did, and she is doing whatever she can to feed, house and clothe them.
    Would you all feel better if she was scrubbing toilets? (yes you probably would) Or if she was ugly?
    I personally can't stand the woman, but that scab she was married to is the lowest form of bottomfeeder that walks this earth.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

Well said Debi. ..Kate thinks she's a star. It is not about "providing for her kids". She has just written another book her 4th?? and it consists of letters to each kid about the divorce. It says personal stuff which should remain in the family. I happened to be in B&N tonight and every tabloid magazine has stories about her and all said she is so disliked by everyone on DWTS. Her own family is estranged from her.Jon certainly is no prize but for all the years they were married, her constant haranguing.. putting him down led to the breakup of the marriage. She will have two new TV shows plus her books plus her DWTS money plus all the money from jon and kate..These kids aren't the Rockefellers, they're ordinary middleclass kids and she wants the upper crust life for them.

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Well, EXCUUUUUUSE US, Jenuwin. This woman put herself in the public eye and in my opinion, is fair game for people to express their opinions about her and her lifestyle. If you noticed,there just as many posts in her favor as there is against. Last I heard, we still have free speech here in the US. I stand by what I said about her as I'm sure do the others, both pro & con. Dottie

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

I second that dotmom. Whether you love the b*tch or hate her, that's a matter of opinion.

Frankly, jenuwin, Kate is a reality whore and will do anything to be in the spotlight. I wouldn't trade shoes with her in a NY minute. I'm doing quite well with my entrepreneural status, thank you very much. Not too mention having the paparazzi all over one's family life is NOT something I think too many people welcome, unless you're Kate and live for attention.

Lily, I live an hour from the Gosselin home so I think the locals like us are more subjected to all the so-called "news-worthy" media about this "desperate to be famous" person.