SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Mulling kitchen window treatments....

melissastar
13 years ago

Mostlly in my kitchens I've had bare windows...I never wanted to block any light and the trim work, along with a few interesting things on the sill always just looked right to me. Also, I've never really been fond of the idea of much fabric in a kitchen...probably because I set the smoke alarm off with way too much regularity and can count on spatters everywhere.

But this house/ this kitchen is different. There are two tallish windows (32" X 66") " along one long side of the kitchen modeled on what was there before...upper sash is clear glass with two lights (vertical), bottom sash is a single pane of heavily textured glass. The windows face into what is effectively a narrow walk alley between the back part of my row house and my neighbors, so no view and not a lot of light.

They are trimmed in oak, with stained sashes. Obviously between where they are placed and the textured glass, I don't need window treatments for privacy. But they look a little barren to me. So I'm contemplating roller shades from the Handwerk shop, with a stencil on them to use as a sort of "valance"...that is, I'd probably rarely lower them, but would leave just enough of the shade showing to display the stencil.

would that be odd?

Also, what might I do then for the two small windows over the sink in the scullery/butlers' pantry part of the kitchen? That part is less arts and crafts and more simple Victorian cottage, so I'm thinking no to the ginko stencil. Maybe just the plain roller shade? And since these windows face west, to the back deck and alley, it MIGHT call for some coverage to block sun or views, ocassionally.

Comments (4)