SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lancer1991

Test kit or pool store

lancer1991
15 years ago

When I met with the PB's supervisor to go over operation he gave me the bottle of test strips (PH, Free Chlorine, Alkalinity, and Stabalizer) and said to test once a week. He also said that I have a local pool store a few miles from my house and they'll test for free as long as you're buying stuff from them. He recommended to get the Acid from Lowe's or HD and get the Alkalinity decreaser (baking soda) from them to keep the tests free.

I've tried the strips and I struggle a little to decipher what color it really is and I assume I have a limited time to figure it out. I did leave a sample with the pool store at their door Fri. night for them to sample. Had to have my wife call Sat. as I was working. From her call to me a whole slew of questions arose being my first time and had to have her call them back to explain. Needless to say he was stating Lo N Slow (apparently acid) was needed at a 3 lb rate (added 48 ozs Sat. afternoon and PH and Alkalinity read high still on Sunday so threw another 16 ozs at it), 4 lbs of chlorine needed, and stabalizer as he said he couldn't either detect or read for it (which I didn't add as it wasn't something I wrote down while going over things with the startup guy). What threw me for a loop was the chlorine. I have a SWCG and the builder also threw a lb in the skimmer on Wed and when I read the test strip it looked to be in check for FC. I decided to partially take his word and only added 1 lb and now the FC is reading dark purple (off the chart to the high side).

So after all that venting (I guess that is what that was) if I can get them to do it for free do I skip out on a test kit? Or should I just skip them all together and get the kit and use the on-line calculator for quantities?

Comments (18)