SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbogart_gw

Ipe Fence Project...any advice?

dbogart
16 years ago

Hi Folks,

Need some advice...I have been working on a DIY fence project for my house. Posts are in (white cedar), and I am getting ready to actually construct panels.

Originally, I was going to go all cedar, but the cost and availability of cedar in this area actually makes Ipe an extremely competitive option (especially considering durability over time). I have always liked the look of Ipe, and planned on using it for my deck project next spring. I am changing gears kind of quick though thinking about it for the fence, and wanted a reality check. Here is what I was planning...

-5x5 norther white cedar posts, 8 foot on center (these are already in)

- 1x6 vertical Ipe board panels, spaced (possibly 1x4 - wife is still deciding). Panel is 36" high.

- Vertical boards are sandwiched between, attached to, and supported by (4) horizontal 1x6 Ipe "rails" - basically a 1x6 on each side of the vertical board panel top and bottom (so two each top and bottom). Panel will look the same when viewed from either side.

- 2x3 trim piece along the top of the panel (decorative and to cover the end cuts/edges of the vertical boards)

- Another 1x6 ipe horizontal rail piece spaced 6" above the 36" lower panel (this is basically a decorative touch, which also adds to the fence height).

I'll take any feedback anyone may have, but I am really hoping to get answers on these questions:

-Does this design sound feasible?

-How does Ipe work for a fence, any experiences pro or con?

-Is it structurally sound to use a sandwich of 1x6 rails top and bottom to support the spaced vertical boards, or am I going to have structural issues and sagging?

The "framed" look the 1x6's give is desireable (as is it looking the same on both sides), but I don't want the thing falling down either.

I'll take any advice or opinions you folks have. I was a long time lurker homeresources.com deck forum until it got overrun with spam...

Thanks,

Dave

Comment