SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Restore-A-Deck Questions for Pressurepros

17 years ago

Tomorrow is the big day. My husband and I are going to do the RAD process on our 2-month old IPE deck in preparation for sealing with TWP116. I've read all the instructions and a lot of the posts regarding the RAD process and had a couple of questions.

1. I know it's important to keep wet (with water) anything you don't want to cleaning/brightening solutions to "work on". Like house siding, our powder-coated aluminum balusters, plant life, etc. Covering up the plant life with plastic is what I've planned and that's pretty straightforward. I've also thought of hanging plastic sheets on the house to keep from getting solution on it and not having to worry about it. But keeping the balusters wet may be difficult since we have railcap wood and wood underneath that we'll need to treat. I've also read somewhere that you don't want to apply RAD to a wet surface - that it needs to be dry when you put the RAD on it to get the desired cleaning/brightening action. So I'm not sure how to keep the balusters wet with water without getting the surrounding wood wet and causing the RAD not to work as well. Any suggestions?

2. Once the RAD has been completed and the deck is dried out to 15% moisture, how long is the treatment "good for" in terms of being prepped for stain? If we can't get the stain applied for a couple of weeks, is the wood still considered prepped and pH balanced?

Thanks!

Comment (1)