SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

6 inches extra to pantry or DR serving counter?

breezygirl
13 years ago

I need help today. The framers are coming in the next couple of days and I'm freaking out. My measurements need to be right. My plan has gone through so many incarnations that things get muddled along the way. Y'all know what I mean.

I have 6" extra inches along the back wall behind the corner pantry that are bugging me. Here's my plan in relation to the whole area.

You can see the wall behind the pantry and ovens faces the dining room. I'm going to have 12" base cabs at counter height. The peninsula countertop will wrap around the back over those base cabs. Then I'll put 12" deep cabs above that. You know, normal counter set-up except uppers will be the same depth as lowers. We're planning on using that area for beverage service (wine, cocktails, lemonade) during parties. We're planning on storing booze and related glasses there, as well as the fine china for the DR table.

You can see in the closeup here that somehow I thought that an extra 6" behind the pantry wall would be better used as extra counter in the DR instead of pantry space.

Behind the pantry is 38" of the counter at 19" deep. Next to that is 40" of counter at 13" deep.

My concern is that if I add 6" to the pantry, it would be too deep and awkward in there. Will it? On the other hand, DH thinks that the extra 6" of depth in DR looks weird.

I can't think straight. What would you do?

Comments (43)