SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvn2oxfrd_gw

Dining room table, fully extended too long for every day use?

luvn2oxfrd
13 years ago

Hi! I am popping over from the Kitchen Forum because I am having dining table issues.

During our recent remodel we took down the wall separating the kitchen and dining room and made it into one open space. The kitchen was pushed back into the old dining space and now the dining room is between the new kitchen and sunken family room. What we are now calling the dining area is long and narrow. From the half wall (separating the space from family room) to the peninsula countertop in the kitchen, the dining area is 18' x 11', and the walkway is the main walkway getting from one end of the house to the other.

I thought I wanted a 9' farmhouse table that would extend to 12'. Instead I got a good deal on a 6' farmhouse table that extends to 9'. I planned on using the table fully extended at all times. However, when I set it up last night, the table with one leaf (7.5') seems plenty big. We are planning on getting a glass top over the wood so that I do not have to worry about my 2 and 5 year olds' craft habits. We are only a family of 4 and the most we entertain is usually 6-8 (except for big holidays, which are rarely formal at our home). The table with one leaf fits 8 comfortably.

I guess all that build up is to ask if 7.5' fits the space appropriately, or if I should extend to the full 9'? And if I keep it as it is, will I regret not having (and removing and storing) the glass top when I do need to fully extend the table?

It is hard to take a good picture for perspective because of how narrow the room is, but here is the table in the space from both angles. Please ignore everything else. Nothing is finished yet.

**Looking at these pictures again as I post, the additional 18" leaf would still center fine on the windows (which are 16' from end to end), but I think the length of the table looks odd on such a narrow room (does that make any sense?), especially for every day use. Am I just being silly?

Comments (11)