SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musky_hunter

Solid or Transparent?

musky-hunter
15 years ago

I just completed the two step RAD process on my front and rear decks. They are almost 3 years old and have never been stained so they were quite grey prior to RAD. I stained the front one with TWP today and the color turned out much darker than what we saw on a test board (that was not treated with RAD). I forgot how much fun it is to try to keep a wet edge with this product (I have a really long run of nearly 40t.) I'm not looking forward to doing the rear deck with this product because I don't know how I will keep both sides of the railings with a wet edge on a deck that is 10ft off the ground. The other reason I'm not looking foward to it is that the memory of spending my entire Memorial Day weekend cleaning decks is quite fresh. I'm considering using a solid deck stain on the rear deck in hopes that I won't have to do it as often as the transparent products. I had Cabot's solid on my last house but I suspect it failed after two years because it was only 18" off the ground and didn't have good ventaltion. Am I misguided to think I can get 2x the time out of Solid that I can transparent?

Comment