SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powiebaby

need a simple footing idea for a deck support

powiebaby
17 years ago

I have a wood deck that was extended over to my AG pool's aluminum deck. Where the wood deck meets the pool deck, underneath, the aluminum supports for that edge of the pool deck are not secure. SO, the aluminum deck will fail if I step on it near that edge. The screws that secure the supports to the aluminum decking above and the support track below are broke. And the support track is broken up to the point where I can't just simply replace the screw. I want to shore up the aluminum decking there with a wood support, similar to the support pilings for the wood deck. But I want to do it as simply and quickly as possible. I was thinking of just getting a solid piece of lumber, either a landscape timber or something like a pressure treated 4x4x12, cut it up into 3 equal lengths (I was thinkning of using three pieces of lumber about 45" in length to be placed beside the three aluminum supports to reinforce it). Without digging a huge hole and filling a post tube with concrete and so on, what would be an adequate way to situate the lumber pieces on the ground? I have a few inches of crushed stone there, so I would clear that out. What would I want to do to use as a base to stand the lumber segments on, and how can I secure them to that base. The top of the lumber segments I would nail into the wood decking where it meets the aluminum decking. THe three lumber segments would support the edge of the aluminum decking and also be nailed to the wood decking. Securing the base of the lumber segments is my issue, though. Any suggestions? Space is obviously tight under there, so a whole lot of digging is going to be a real chore.

Thank you.

Comments (2)