SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sasso_999

Outstanding IPE Questions

17 years ago

I just recently hired a contractor to put in a 250 square foot Ipe deck around two sides of my pool. Construction will begin in about 4 weeks. I have a small back yard so in an attempt to maximize surface area I want to build it level with the one-foot lip that goes around the pool, which is only about 5 inches from the ground. I will be using 5/4x6 decking boards, with the face screw fastening approach.

I have lurked hear for a while and have read many threads but still have some questions:

1. It seems like the consensus here is that waxing the cut ends is a waste of time, and that letting the wood acclimate properly will do more to prevent checking than anything else. Should I let the Ipe acclimate out in the open, exposed to rain and what not, or keep it in my garage or put a tarp on it or something? How long should it acclimate?

2. Being that the deck will be so close to the ground, I am concerned about proper ventilation. John has suggested installing floor vents, or maybe a fan. Does anyone have any other recommendations? How many floor vents per square footage would you recommend? Is a fan necessary? Is cupping/ventilation not as much of a concern since Im not using T&G or the hidden fasteners?

3. IÂm still not sure if we should put a finished on all sides vs just the top. Any advice? If all sides is needed, then I guess I would have to take up all the boards every year or whenever I decide to reapply the finish, which would deter me from using plugs. Also, what finish works best to prevent cupping?

4. We will probably be using the Trimstar #8 x 2 ½" screws. What size pilot hole size is recommended for these types of screws?

Thanks. I know these are a lot of questions but any advice would be much appreciated.

Ron (Houston, TX)

Comments (34)