SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlong48

Veranda vs. Premier/Trademark Railings

dlong48
15 years ago

We're building a new summer cottage on the coast of Maine and are at the point of specifying railings for our porch and deck. The decking is IPE. Total length of railing including stairs, if bought in 6 or 8' increments, is 130'.

Requirements for the railings:

- no/low maintenance

- long-lasting (50 years?)

- no rattles in the wind

- sturdy; deck platform is ~10' off the ground; stairs are primary entrance to house

- works with 4x4 posts

- corrosion-resistant; all SS hardware

- as non-artificial looking as possible

It seems there are two basic designs in the white-over-composite market that I've seen locally. HD sells Veranda made by Fiber Composites, which has one-piece rails with square cutouts for the balusters. Lumberyards sell Premier and Trademark, now owned by Azek, which have two part top-rails and balusters held by screws. We like the looks of the Premier or Trademark products best but are having a hard time understanding if they are worth 2x the cost of Veranda. The only? negatives I see for the Veranda are:

1) The hinge-pin on Veranda's stair bracket seems to not be SS according to my magnet test.

2) I'm worried the balusters will rattle in the wind.

3) Their stair sections seem to assume exactly one angle of stair; I'm not yet sure if that angle will be what we have.

4) The baluster holes in the stair section rails are larger than the line section rails, as you would expect, but they don't seem to have been cut at an angle so the joint between the baluster and the bottom rail is ugly. (Am I missing something?)

So, I'm looking for advice:

Does anyone have experience with the Veranda railing? Does it meet my requirements above? How would you compare it to the Premier/Trademark railings? Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• Karen Eagle
    15 years ago

I purchased Premier railings about 3 yrs. ago because of the look and low /no maintenance claim. I would not purchase again. Perhaps it was the fault of my installer but they sag and cracked and know I have rust marks on the white rails. Be sure to put supports, even on short sections and if you use a grill make sure it's not too close to railing. I have to clean the railing 2x a season because the rain and dust leave streak marks, which annoy me.

• racerock
    14 years ago

kge9 - Why don't you stop ragging on Premier?

Just because your installer screwed you by not putting the right screws in, skipping the very important step of putting support blocks and you burned your railing:

- does not mean it is a bad product.

One thing to consider on the streaks - wax the railing - I'm going to this year - and it has been up for three years - loooking great - get compliments on it all the time.