SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitamiman

One pump or two?

15 years ago

Pool under construction is about 18000 gallons with a negative edge and associated trough outside the weir wall. On the return side, there is one pipe run in 2-inch pipe from the pad to six eyeball returns along the pool wall facing the negative edge. In addition, there is a separate 3-inch pipe run from the pad to three open 2-inch returns in the end pool wall to provide unimpeded high flow rates when returning water from the trough.

On the suction side, there is one pipe run to the pad from two drains in the floor of the main pool, in 3-inch pipe, and another pipe run to the pad from three drains in the trough, also in 3-inch pipe. Both runs use 2 x 45s rather than 90s where possible. In addition there is a dedicated 1.5-inch suction line to the middle of the long edge for a pool cleaner, and flow and return lines from the pad to ground-mounted solar panels. Filter will probably be a Pentair 520 cartridge filter.

I had been planning on using 2 Intelliflo VFs, one dedicated to the trough circulation and the other for the main pool circulation, but now that it is time to put my money where my mouth is I am wondering whether this is overkill and if an appropriately valved single Intelliflo VF would be sufficient.

While one might do the trick, what about the downside in terms of increased complexity and costs as regards automating flow/return set ups...? Should I just bite the bullet for a simpler life in the long term? How long can I reasonably expect the pump(s) to last?

I would much appreciate some words of advice from the wise regarding one or two pumps and pros and cons thereof...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus