SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympia776

Lower cabinet appliance pull out? Or....

olympia776
10 years ago

So, I'm looking for a new home for my microwave and toaster oven. They currently reside on an open Boos block butcher block that's 6ft long and has a lower shelf. This table is being replaced with cabinets and now I'm trying to figure out something to do with these appliances.

I should point out that I rarely use them but do from time to time. Like maybe 2-3x a month.

My initial thought was to put them into a cabinet with retracting doors. After reading around some I'm a little concerned about the heat of the toaster oven and am worried that even with ample room it might be best not to do this. Thoughts?

My second thought is to put both of them sideways into a cabinet kind of like a pull out trash. I'd figure out some kind of locking mechanism and have this at the end against the wall so they wouldn't block anything. I figured I could pull them out, lock them into place, use them, allow them time to cool and then put them away. I wouldn't loose too much of the work top in that 6 ft run of counters this way either. Does this sound remotely feasible? It would put one of them rather low but they are both low now and work fine for my very occasional use.

The other option that I could see would be to add them into my pantry. The pantry is about the size of a medium coat closet definitely not a large walk in. My concerns are adding an outlet to this space #1 and #2 having to back out of the pantry with something hot. There is a landing space nearby the pantry though.

I had thought about pulling them out as I use them or doing something like a rev-a-shelf to lift one or both of them. Any feedback or creative solutions welcome. I don't have anything like a rollout tall pantry or hutch to hide them in either.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (7)