SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Paint my piano black, am I crazy??

Karen Marcely
13 years ago

This idea struck me yesterday and I first thought are you crazy, then started researching into it.

Below is my 24 year old piano. We bought it when our daughter was 6, a musical talent and on her way to be a concert pianist someday... well you know how that goes. Now she lives 2 states away and has no room in her house for it. Claims she would like someday, so my husband will not get rid of it unless it goes to her. So meanwhile I'm stuck with it. No place other than my living room for it.

I have posted a few times with this picture for different reasons, i.e. re-arranging furniture, fabric advise, etc. When looking at this photo, please visualize that the furniture is being replaced, new sofa and 2 accents chairs, hardwood floors are being installed, coffee table going, and on a wall to right see there is a console black table with photos on the wall - going up my stairs with black frames. Also, my handrails and posts have been painted black.

So my thought is that I would like to paint my piano a satin black. Visited local piano store who told me due to the fact the piano has not been used and tuned in several years is not really worth much. Also, due to the increased popularity of digital pianos, pretty much the only wooden pianos that have alot of value are grand pianos. So much for our valuable family heirloom! He also said that painting it would not affect the tones. He showed me the pieces that come apart and how to take them apart. It would be a time consuming job, but I feel I can handle it.

I have been advised from this site to move my piano against the wall where my sofa currently is and put sofa against window. That idea is much more appealing to me with the piano being black.

My question to you all is what do you think as far as a design idea??

I

Comments (28)

• Olychick
    13 years ago

When I saw your post, I thought YES, you are crazy!!! But I looked online and found this. I wasn't sure about that much black in your room (such a big black piece, but noticed the black railings, so it might be okay to pull the black into that part of your room). Don't think any of these colors are your style, but it looks like a doable project. The pros here will let you know if black will work with the rest of your furniture. I like the piano the color it is now, but love the cream colored one in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted pianos

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I like your ideas of where to move it and painting it black just fine, Kmarcel, but want to caution you about the painting process itself. In the last week, I've painted DD's desk w hutch, bedside credenza, a large mirror frame and a picture frame all satin black, so I speak from recent experience ;^D
    If you're planning on painting the piano yourself, be VERY prepared when you do. Spray paint, I was told, is easiest and gives you the best finish. You'll need one of those great easy-on-the-fingers attachment for the cans. I didn't use one last summer when I spray painted an Adirondack chair, and the tip of my index finger was numb for 2 1/2 months afterwards! And, even with satin, which is the best finish for it, lots of those little imperfections still show afterwards. All spray paint is oil-based and needs a good, well-ventilated place to be sprayed AND to air out afterwards for at least several days to a week. And, believe me, it needs it, as that smell is strong! You really need a good quality face mask made for painting, too. Another things is, while it's wet/damp, EVERYTHING wants to stick to it, especially pet hair! That was a big problem for me, as even out in our attached garage where I was painting all this stuff, there was hair from my 2 dogs floating in the air. As advised, I first used a (spray) primer. It was a medium gray. I wish I'd wanted black but the gal at the paint place told me that gray would make it easier to see where I'd missed spraying. Good point! I'm hoping that using the primer will keep the finish looking better longer, as this is a teenager's room. You also want to buy more cans than you think you'll need, as each coat needs to be put on within one hour of the last, or after 24-48 hours (depending on the brand). I, of course, underestimated how much I'd need, ran out and had to rush back to the store ~ dressed like I would NEVER EVER want to have anyone see me and with black paint in my hair, on my clothes, my finger and toenails . . . and a streak on my chin I found out later. Like I said, learn from my mistakes and plan ahead better than I did if you do end up painting your piano black (LOL)!
    Lynn

• Related Discussions

Am I crazy? Completely different backsplash ideas from my prev.

Q

Comments (6)
    I think that your instincts are excellent! I like the inspiration pic - I forgot that grout lines can add a bit of 'cooler' tones. Good idea with something behind the stove. Maybe something raised, like the cord style in the pic. I also like laying the solid colour tile in a brick pattern. Gives the sense of a pattern without adding another colour. I'd avoid too many colours in the tile, so as to not compete with your counters.
    ...See More

This is why my DH thinks I am CRAZY!

Q

Comments (12)
    Speaking as an *almost* professional 2nd hand shopper, that chandy is a super bargain and I'd have snapped it up in a second. If anyone worries about their DH thinking they are crazy be assured that most men are on a different wave length than women when it comes to home decor. Compare to what many DH's buy in the way of car or tool thingies. Sometimes mine buys something that's a "must have" and it sits for the next millenium still in the package. But he had to have it, usually "just in case". Go figure. Think of something useless your DH bot and play a little fun comparison game with him. Or just ignore and he'll get over it when you hang it and everyone else oohs and aahs.
    ...See More

Am I as crazy as my DH thinks I am? LR quandry.

Q

Comments (32)
    I have not scheduled surgery yet and am ignoring the suggestion of having them both done at once. When I was a newly graduated RN I worked ortho for a year ( some disasters but hips have come along way) and my mom had a horrible hip replacement outcome, so I am putting it off for as long as I can. Don't wait so long you are too out of shape ... it's best done while you are still reasonably spry with muscle strength left for rehab instead of totally crippled and weak. And before you have wrecked the surrounding support muscles and tendons compensating for the pain and lack of mobility. (SO has a prosthetic knee, his brother has 2 of them, and another brother has a hip replacement he loves). Yes, it's come a LONG ways, even using 3-d imaging and custom manufacture of the prosthetics if needed. They can build a copy of the joint, figure out exactly how things need to be altered and dry-fit the prosthesis without ever lifting a scalpel.
    ...See More

Am I crazy to paint my kitchen cabinets white?

Q

Comments (27)
    Nlpie, I'm a little late to this party but have my 2 cents to add. Also, want to echo others comments that you have a gorgeous house and cabinets. First, a good friend of mine had her cabinets painted by a top notch professional crew. They did a first class job, and the finish held up for years. I think that with some changes you can have a wonderful kitchen either staying with natural cabinets or going creamy off-white. I'm mainly struck by your your lack of artificial lighting. The pot lights aren't even on in the kitchen ceiling. If there are no under cabinet, or above cabinet lights, please add both. Rather than just changing the lighting above the island, what about adding two skylights if this is a single story house? There are both layers of artificial light and skylights in my kitchen. It all makes a huge difference. Along the same line, I would add 3 floating shelves on either side of the large wall clock. Have led lighting built into each self to shine down, with lighting to shine up from the top shelf. Then add fine art decorative glass vases on the shelves. Rather than the clock, replace with a large painting which will have fine art lighting. Both the counter and the back splash go well with the wood cabinets. However, the counter and tile do not look good together imho, too busy. I would go with the cream crackle tile bluebell has shown, whether the cabinets are painted or not. It's always fun coming up with ideas for others to spend $$$. I'm really looking forward to seeing you kitchen when it's completed.
    ...See More
  • sis3
    13 years ago

I know you asked for opinions from a design point of view but I would like to offer this one too. I think it is very generous of you to 'store' your daughter's piano until she is ready to house it herself. Pianos aren't small! However by then she too may decide that a digital piano would make more sense for her (we have one due to our humid climate). Perhaps it would be better to sell it, however little you can get for it, and put that money towards a piano of her choice when/if she is ready. Or you could donate it, perhaps to a school or charity, and claim a substantial tax allowance for your donation, which you could then contribute to your daughter's new piano fund.

If you took this route you would be being generous to your daughter, generous to a beneficiary of the piano and also generous to yourself in that you would no longer have to decorate around an unused piano! Just a thought, I hope you don't mind.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

olychick, I saw that link with the painted pianos yesterday when doing this research. There are alot of people who do attempt this idea. So I thought why not me. But as you said that would be a very large black piece.

Thanks for the advise, lynninemixico. If I commit to this I know it will be a long job and I will need alot of patience. Just have to decide if it's even a good idea.
    Maybe after reading everyone's advise I may change my mind.

sis3, you do have a valid point. I should look into what options I have for getting rid of it by donating or selling before I do this. The owner of our local piano store pretty much said these are a dime a dozen and people can't even get rid of them on craigslist. I did see this exact piano on ebay for $255 and they said it was tuned every year. Very discouraging. I think my husband has sentimental feeling for this piano and says if it's going anywhere it's to our daughter. So my thought was if I'm stuck with it why not give it a more updated appearance.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some before and after photos of a painted piano that I found yesterday. This person - unprofessional - had painted 3 of them.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

I was 4 when my parents bought our piano. I, too, was going to become a concert pianist when I grew up. And, yes, I know how that goes. Coincidentally, I grew up and moved 2 states away. At the time I first moved, I, too, asked mom and dad to store it for me until I had a place for it. And my dad agreed to hold it for me...and that lasted 5-6 more years.

If, during that time, my parents had painted my piano, I would have killed them! Many of my memories with my piano related to how it looked, as well as how I played, lessons etc.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you let your daughter be the one to make the decision. It's her piano, isn't it?

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Have you thought about asking your daughter if she has any opinions on the subject? My parents saved my piano for a number of years until they finally had the opportunity to give it someone who really wanted it and who did use it for many years. I was newly married and living in a small apartment 300 miles from home - I couldn't afford to have the piano moved even if I wanted it. I was thrilled that it got a new home.

Skip ahead 10 years and I bought a very nice Baldwin for my own 3 children. Skip ahead another 20 years and I am now considering donating it to a local school.

If your piano doesn't have any value other than sentimental -do you think it would be better to donate it? If it's valuable than have you kept it maintained? That means having it tuned at least twice a year. If it hasn't been tuned for a few years it may take 3 or 4 tunings to bring it back to relative pitch. You might want to consider having a piano technician examine it to determine it's condition - the sound board and strings are very sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

If it's really only a piece of furniture at this point and if your daughter doesn't mine then paint it. I've seen some really interesting painted pianos over the years. One of my neighbors bought a lipstick red one in a glossy finish.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lesterd & marie cate, you are absolutely right. I wouldn't dream of doing this without talking to my daughter first. She liked the idea. She has more contemporary taste than I do and does not care for oak wood tones. Her concern of course would be that it came out looking good, not a bad looking paint job.

As I stated above I am going to look into what my options are, but was curious what everyone thought of how a black piano would look in my space and if anyone has ever done this before.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I have to admit the idea seemed strange to me at first. But the picture of the painted piano changed my mind. It looks great in black.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Funny how kids get attached th their pianos. I have the same situation, although mine is on a small wall and eally not in the way nor is it a focal point. I even suggested to my DD that if I got rid of this one, I would buy her one when she was settled. She asked me what I would do with the corner if it was empty! Well, I didn't have an answer. So, I still have the piano.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

My daughter is only 10, so the piano still gets played! But in any event, it's a 20 year old Kawaii in satin black. That's its original color, and it looks fabulous. It doesn't look hulking at all. I find the proportions of an upright piano are pretty slim (depth-to-height), and the black really does look wonderful. Ours looks a lot like the black painted piano that kmarcel posted.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ellendi, the location where my piano is also a narrow space and I have often thought that the piano fits perfectly there. Maybe that is why part of me doesn't want to get rid of it either, because I have no idea what I would put there.

still lynnski, I would love to see a picture of your piano if you could post one.

• lebwhite
    13 years ago

I don't have an opinion on painting but I want to share my experience with storing a piano. 23 years ago my mother in law got a Steinway grand piano and my house became the storage for her childhood piano, I am to save it until one day when her daughter ( who is 42 and has a home of her own) wants it. I do have one daughter who plays the piano and is a voice major in college, but she has a very nice digital piano. My daughter has no interest in this one and she is the only musical heir so will probably receive the Steinway later and in the meantime this piano takes up most of a wall in my living room, I would love to get rid of it and as soon as I can I will. My advice is donate it. Right now mine has not been used for years because despite daughter playing she prefers her digital and I do not want to tune the beast just to sit unplayed.

• blueiris24
    13 years ago

I would have thought you were crazy to paint it but after seeing more information on it it doesn't appear to be such a strange thing after all! The painted black one above looks very nice. However, if it's just a matter of trying to make it more appealing to live with for more years..... I was "promised" our family piano by my dad but moved several states away with different humidity and as time passed realized how much it would involve moving the piano, etc, and realizing that in the end, it really would not have fit in well with the style I had in my home --- maybe your daughter can let the sentiment go and you can have more space in your room?...... if not, good luck with the painting!

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

My parents also kept my spinet piano for me all through college, then when I got married, and on and on... By the time I was again interested in having a piano, I had developed my own sense of interior design and wasn't interested in the little spinet, I wanted the elegance of a baby grand, LOL! which I got, used, and still have. The little old spinet stayed in my parents home and sat totally unused until they'd both passed on.

As others have said, not really my business, but if you don't want the piano yourself... your daughter is a grown woman and can come get the piano, or decide to let it go. If your DH is very attached to it, I can understand that. I'd let him take it into his study (or workshop, or garage, or whatever he has that's his space.)

If you insist on keeping it despite my very wise advice (ha! LOL) then I think it does indeed look better in satin black, -- though was very surprised by your photos at how good. I don't think you're going to want to be using spray paint around a piano, though, are you? Unless you're going to dismantle the entire thing, remove the parts etc. It could get into the strings, on the dampers, and really make it unplayable. When I asked my crusty old piano tuner about dusting inside my piano once, he told that only two people go under the cover of a piano -- "a piano tuner, and a durned fool!" :-) I've heeded his advice all these years.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

When I asked my crusty old piano tuner about dusting inside my piano once, he told that only two people go under the cover of a piano -- "a piano tuner, and a durned fool! That's so true! When I asked my tuner about it, he said "It's supposed to be that way! Keep away from the insides of the piano. I'll take care of it!" You make an EXCELLENT point about spray paint/pianos, bigdog!

As for saving a piano, we saved ours until our son wanted it for his dtr. It took several tunings to get it back to form, but it sounds pretty darn good now! Even though I have more space in the living room, I miss the piano - and I didn't play it! Seems silly to be sentimental about a piano, but I am. It was part of our lives, our home. I'm awfully glad my granddaughter (and son) are enjoying it.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband wants to keep the piano and get it tuned and see how much work it needs. Hasn't gone as long as I thought without being tuned.

bigdoglover. as far as painting, I would use a foam brush, as I read that is how to do it. There are actually some parts you take off, such as the big piece in front where the foot pedals are. They have clips that hold it on and can be removed. The owner of the piano store advised me which pieces to take off and lay on a table to paint, if I chose to take on this task.

Love everyones advise. People have very strong feelings about their pianos, which I can understand. That is why even though it's not used I'm hesitent to get rid of it.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Lots of responses already to your question but wanted to say (in case someone else has not) that it is not recommended to place pianos on an outside wall. Not sure if that end wall is an outside wall but pianos need even temperature and humidity so should always be on an inner wall.

As to painting - many decades ago we bought an antique upright grand piano from a store that reconditioned old pianos. I fell in love with it's ornate style but parts of the veneer finish were not in good enough condition to refinish in wood tone. The business we bought it from had a spray paint booth and often painted pianos so we chose to have it painted black and it looked wonderful. Had it for many years until it was damaged during a move and we sold it and bought a digital piano. Both the sound and the appearance were so much nicer on the antique piano altho dig pianos are fun for the special sound effects.

If you do paint it yourself the most important part of any paint job is the prep. My DH has painted our kitchen cabinets and a few pieces of furniture black and he used flat black paint then satin top coat. The flat black makes it easier to get a smooth finish and the clear protects it.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I don't believe what the store told you that they're a dime a dozen and hard to get rid of.

People are constantly on the lookout for old pianos hoping their children will play them. I was one of those mother's, although I can play a little bit.

If you don't play and you can't be guaranteed your daughter will want it, put an add in the paper and I bet you sell it pretty fast!

I'd rather have the extra space rather than a piano no one plays.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

It has to be your decision whether you keep it or let it go, but that is not what your original question was.

You are buying new furniture, new coffee table, new wood flooring, and more than likely will be using an area rug. All these elements are going to change the look and style of your room entirely. The piano appears to be a nice, rich looking wood, and looks nice as is. The black painted pictures that folks have posted look great also.

I would wait until everything else is done in the room before I made the decision. The fabrics you use, the finish on the table, etc may help you decide whether you want black or stain.

This is not a criticism, just a fact - I notice you don't have grand architectural features such as a fireplace, built-in shelving, high-end trims, etc. I feel comfortable saying this because I DON'T EITHER (LOL). Something as simple as a piano can become a nice focal point - something to put a pretty lamp on or a unique piece of pottery or any type of pretty vignette. Or a spot to do some gorgeous Christmas decorating. I personally strugle with this issue, so I would probably embrace the piano, if it were in my home, and I had room for it. I sometimes envy the rooms that have a mantel or buffet or built-in or grandma's old secretary to be decorated. Hope this makes sense!

Again, I do encourage you to wait before you make your decision and let the room tell you what to do.

Tuesday

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

You may not be interested in the expense but there are refinishers who specialize in pianos. My parents bought a Baldwin baby grand for their 3rd anniversary in 1941. Over the years the wood and finish took a beating and my mother's taste changed from the dark stained mahogany so she had it professionally refinished around 1980 or so - to a satin black. It's still gorgeous.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

A foam brush!! Oh my gosh, I am so happy to hear that because I have a consignment store bachelor's chest I want to paint, and had no idea you could get such a good finish without spraying.

Tuesday makes a great point about the piano serving as a major focal point in lieu of a fireplace mantle. I hadn't thought of that.

Our church bought a fairly OK spinet piano for the Sunday School and paid about $1800 for it from a music store, so I think oakleyoak is on to something there.

After reading all the comments I think I was wrong, and that you should keep it and make it as pretty as you can, to go with your new furniture. Interesting how often those DH's are right about these things!

sherrmann, sounds like we might have the same piano tuner, LOL.

• iknownothingatall
    13 years ago

They are a dime a dozen in my neck of the woods too. I know, I tried to sell mine for months and finally had to pay to dispose of it. :(

If it's not used as a piano, it certainly is the right size and shape for a handy woodworker to turn it into a desk. It could still be the family heirloom, just with a different function!

http://craftsmanpiano.blogspot.com/2010/05/piano-converted-to-desk.html

http://www.pianodesk.com/ (click on desk examples)

or just google "piano converted to desk" and select images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tuesday 2008, No criticism taken. I agree with you. I think a piano a nice focal point to have. Maybe I could try and sell or donate, but what would I fill with that space? If I put a chair there it would be so far away from the rest of the furniture. It's a narrow space because there are stairs right there that go to my foyer. So I could put a table, which I already have on another wall. To me a piano is more interesting, not something everyone has.

bigdoglover, I have read a few different "how to" sites on doing this and none have recommended spray painting. This one particular site said to use a foam brush and lightly sand between coats of stain, then apply a satin polyurethane finish. It would be time consuming and to luckgals point, the biggest thing is the prep.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

kmarcel, thank you! It sounds easy even though lots of work (sanding, ugh.) I think sanding is necessary in whatever method though.

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

My memory is tickling me about an organization that donates musical instruments to needy kids. I can't think what it is, but I'll keep my ear out.

I have a 1901 upright in my barn, complete with needlepoint stools. I'm sure it's dryrotting, probably, and I do know it needs a new sideboard. Ironically, it's a fantastic piece of furniture & I wouldn't mind having it in the house!

When my grandma downsized, the Steinway baby grand came to our house. Ostensibly, it belonged to my mom's sister. 15 years later, when sister moved into a townhouse in Georgetown (DC), she demanded the piano back. My mom was furious. I don't know whatever made her let it go, but you can bet it wasn't guilt. Sister was the only one who ever took lessons because my mom & other siblings were long gone by the time sister was old enough to play.

Anyway. Storing something for someone needs well understood agreements, I think. Donating something? You could contribute to your daughter's new piano when she has room for one. Contribute. Not necessary buy.

Christine
    Formerly C F Muehling

• Olychick
    13 years ago

With apologies to kmarcel for posting this pretty ot link, but reading all the replies here and the strong feelings for pianos so many of us have reminded me of this video and interview I saw a few years ago. Neko Case, a lead singer with the New Pornographers (I tried to refuse to like them because of their name, but it isn't what you think and they have a GREAT explanation for why they chose the name) released a solo album recorded in her barn in Vermont, where she rescued a bunch of free pianos. I love how she talks about them, plus the music they make on this recording. The very best song (in my opinion) is toward the end of the video, as are some of her best comments. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rescued Piano music