SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimiler

Screws failing on ACQ decking and now with Trex!

chimiler
17 years ago

I have been having a heck of a time with my deck. All the screws keep snapping.

I added on to our existing 12 x 14 frame and built a 16 x 32 multilevel version (having to add about 8 footers). All the framing is ACQ treated (mostly 2 x 8s or 10s and all 16 OC). We first put down 5/4 ACQ decking with 3" Quickdrive composite trim head screws and some Philips galvanized screws. After 2 yrs the decking was terribly cupped and a lot the boards were loose. I pulled up a few boards to discover nearly half the screws were snapped just above the joists (even many of the galvanized screws!). I tried to fix as many boars as I could, but even the fixed ones started to cup and snap screws over time.

After a summer of messing with it, I decided to end my frustration and rip all the decking up. The ACQ stuff looked worse than a 10 yr old deck after only 2 yrs. I put down Trex this time. The rep from Quickdrive came on site and assured me the wood was the cause. With a bit of good CS, he offered me enough new screws to cover the new decking. This time 2 1/2" trim heads. I put down the Trex and all looked great. However, after a winter of some 0º temps and into a 80º spring I've noticed a few of the face boards pulling away about 3/8" on the ends where their mitered to form a box frame. The 3/4" Trex face boards are flexible enough you can push on them to see the screw failed -- snapped about 1/8" outside of the joists. So 2 weeks ago I unscrewed some of the snapped trim heads and screwed in a larger galvanized screw next to it. Well, we had a few 20º temps again and guess what -- snapped again! The decking may also be loose, but since Trex doesn't want to cup, they are all laying flat and don't SEEM to be loose... for now.

I'm at a loss now. What in the world is causing these boards to want to move so much??

I don't know why the face board screwed into a 2 x 8 joist would be waning to pull away. I just hope the decking stays secure. Like I said,Trex doesn't want to pull like pressure treated (especially the newer stuff) so I'm hoping even IF screws snap, the boards will lay flat and I'll never notice. I may end up using small lag screws recessed on the face board (similar to how kids play sets are built). At least it will look like it was meant to be that way.

I think next time I'll go for a stone patio!

Comments (6)