SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_crows_nest

Ready Seal on ipe deck

17 years ago

I know there are two basic points of view on this site; TWP and the new product, WoodZotic.

I have had about 3 or 4 people come to give me a bid to do the stain work on my ipe deck (built last Aug/Sep; not yet stained - live in NJ; deck does NOT get full sun; faces West, with house to the East) and all of them have different opinions. One was willing to use TWP, although in NJ I think I can only get the 516.

I am really intrigued with Ken's new product, but of course, as of now, no one has heard of it, and they all caution against a new product that does not have years of history to judge by.

The one guy I am leaning to has recommended Ready Seal; he seemed to most closely remark about most of what I have read here - not wanting to leave a film; not wanting to "seal" the deck, per se; etc.

I mentioned WoodZotic to him, and will be sending him more info today, including some clips from this site, and links.

My question is, and I realize it may be a tough one to answer - what if he says he will use the WoodZotic, but will not provide the same "warranty" he normally would due to his unfamiliarity with the product? Should I go with Ready Seal for this year, and perhaps "test" the new product this year (I am ordering a gallon today, to take advantage of the free shipping, and also so that I can test it, just in case I go this route)??

With ipe, is it a given that I will have to re-stain every year?

Help!

Comments (4)