~HELP~Cleaning dog drool off new laminate floor

mad_about_mickey

I know ,that sounds terrible.... But we just finished installing over 1000 sq ft of cherry laminate and it appears that dog drool doesnot come off the floor. Soooo, what do you use to clean your laminate floor?

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

Have you tried a "Steam mop"? I'm sure that would do the job.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

definitely steam mop I have used my shark steam mop to clean up after my Great Danes works great and it also disinfects since it is steam, no chemicals just water and it is dry almost instantly.

Save    
linda_in_iowa

I used vinegar and water to clean Jake's drool off my laminate floor. It does take some scrubbing.

Save    
lindyluwho

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I just took ink off my laminate floor with one.

Linda

Save    
sushipup1

Windex was recommended way back when we first put in laminate floors, and it's worked well for us.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Better than cat puke down between the floor boards...ewwww. It happened here about an hour ago.

Mr. Clean Eraser, really? I just bought two new ones today, I really like the way they take years of grime off things.

Save    
gardenspice

Be careful with the Mr. Clean erasers. I love them, but they are a fine abrasive and you can (I did) scratch surfaces with them.

7 Likes Save    
mad_about_mickey

I tried the vinegar and water and that did absolutely zip !
I have a cheapo steam mop, i guess I'll try that, I was told not to use it on the laminate though by a friend who has the same floor. She says it just doesn't have any shine after you use the steam mop.

Save    
gardenspice

I'd call the manufacturer.

4 Likes Save    
lydia1959

I've found that the steam cleaner did take some of the shine off the floor. I got rid of mine.

I use rubbing alcohol and water (mixed 50%, 50%) to mop my floors with. The alcohol makes it dry fast so I don't get spots. Not sure it will help with the dog drool, but it's worth a shot. I actually use straight rubbing alcohol for cat vomit and it comes right up without leaving any spot/stain.

Save    
williamsburgjane

We were told not to use a steam cleaner on our laminated floor. I don't really know what to tell you to use to get the dog drool up, I would call the manufacture too.

Save    
mad_about_mickey

Ok , thanks guys, though it makes you wonder what the darn drool is made of that it spots so bad !!

Save    
susanjf_gw

probably has some acid value to it...

Save    
debbyga

I have to contend with dog drool (well, actually my dog wanders around licking the floor!) too, and I use ammonia in hot water and mop my laminate floors with that. It cleans better than anything else, and is cheap too.

Save    
mad_about_mickey

Yes---licking the floor !! Yuck - ours does that too. The drool drops are perfectly round and the licks are long slashes... reminds you of morse code . lol

3 Likes Save    
debbyga

LOL

Save    
ckilbrei

We have new laminate floors as well and dog drool spots will not come off with the laminate floor cleaner I was told to use. I was told not to use vinegar as that will remove the sheen and not supposed to use water and not supposed to use steam....I am going to try water and ammonia in a spray bottle. Thanks!

Save    
moonie_57 (8 NC)

Here is an example of why old threads resurrected and how they can be useful.

Hope that helps you, ckilbrei!

Save    
Elizabeth Finelli

We just moved into a new home with beautiful wood floors and they took a beating between the movers, the painting crew, furniture deliveries and our drooling boxer in his new environment. I was afraid to use vinegar or a mild soap and I had heard that steaming takes away the finish so I kept looking for a good wood floor cleaner. I came upon Parker & Bailey Advanced Formula wood floor cleaner in a spray bottle and it took off the drool marks! Just spray a small area at a time, rub and then wipe dry with a soft dry cotton cloth. There is no residue. I highly recommend!

Save    
HU-661402638

Do not use steam on your vinyl floors!!! They are installed with glue and the heat will loosen the glue and then you'll have another mess on your hands. My dog is a BIG drooler - drives me crazy. I tried keeping up, but lost the battle. I've used Bruce, but just tried vinegar and water this weekend. It worked, but it's an uphill battle. Just keep at it.

Save    
Karen Dunn

We've had the same annoying problem with 'spots' all over our new laminate flooring. I even communicated with the manufacturer who suggested paint thinner (I didn't try) and acetone (I did try, took them away temporarily but they reappeared)

before realizing they were from our dog's drooling :( I'd recently purchased a bottle of BONA (tile/laminate/stone rinse free floor cleaner) and gave it a whirl. VOILA!! Took all the spots away completely with little effort - you can use the swiffer for wood floors and use the Bona microfiber pad (or any soft cloth) for easy use. They look new again!!

Save    
matthias_lang

I don't know for sure about the safety of it on your floors, but baking soda, or even just a strong baking soda and water solution breaks up dog drool to remove it from glass and porcelain. I understand it breaks up the disulfide bonds in dog saliva. But ammonia should work in the same way, I'd think. I would not make a scrub out of the baking soda for fear it might scratch.

Save    
maifleur01

Since the original post was from 2011 and the other than the new post the ones befor that were in 2018 I think the drool problem has been solved.

Save    
DawnInCal

I just had to clean up a stubborn mess of Italian salad dressing from my hardwood floors. The mess was the remnants of an incident that happened a while back. My sister was opening the bottle of dressing and it must have been spoiled because as soon as the cap was loosened, it blew off and salad dressing went everywhere including nooks, cracks and crevices. It also made a very loud noise that made everyone present jump. Talk about contents under pressure!

We spent most of the evening cleaning it up, but apparently missed a few hidden spots. These areas became sticky and nothing I used would get them clean. After reading several sites that recommended a mix of 50/50 alcohol and distilled water, I tried that. It worked like magic and my floor looks like new! Just spray on and wipe off. There were a few stubborn spots that required a little elbow grease, but not much.

This mix is my new 'go to' when I have a stubborn stain to remove. Do a test spot first, as this mix can damage some varnished and/or painted finishes.

I saw the date of the thread, maifleur, but since there may be new people with a similar problem, I thought I'd go ahead and post my experience.

3 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I use the alcohol and water for a lot of cleaning. But when something is stubborn, I have found that Awesome usually works better than anything else.

Save    
maifleur01

Nothing wrong with posting your experience what I have a problem with is not starting a new thread perhaps referencing the original one. I have done it myself and had an OOPS moment but it made me more cautious after it was pointed out.

Save    

Related Stories

8 Ways Dogs Help You Design
Need to shake up a room, find a couch or go paperless? Here are some ideas to chew on
Full Story
Life How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Gardening and Landscaping 6 Ways to Help Your Dog and Landscape Play Nicely Together
Keep your prized plantings intact and your dog happy too, with this wisdom from an expert gardener and dog guardian
Full Story
Floors Laminate Floors: Get the Look of Wood (and More) for Less
See what goes into laminate flooring and why you just might want to choose it
Full Story
Selling Your House 5 Savvy Fixes to Help Your Home Sell
Get the maximum return on your spruce-up dollars by putting your money in the areas buyers care most about
Full Story
Your First House How to Clean Hardwood Floors
Gleaming wood floors are a thing of beauty. Here’s how to keep them that way
Full Story
Life Three More Magic Words to Help the Housekeeping Get Done
As a follow-up to "How about now?" these three words can help you check more chores off your list
Full Story
Most Popular Design an Easy-Clean Kitchen
By Pangaea
"You cook and I'll clean" might no longer be a fair trade with these ideas for low-maintenance kitchen countertops, cabinets and floors
Full Story
Bedrooms 12 Effective Strategies to Help You Sleep
End the nightmare of tossing and turning at bedtime with these tips for letting go and drifting off
Full Story