SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Are 2 high loops better than one?

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

Hi there,

I'm sure there are a zillion internet discussion of high loops and backflow from the sink. But I've been googling and searching for hours and I can't seem to get the info I need. So please forgive me for being a pest by raising a tired subject!

Yes, we have no air gap. I know some here are adamant about having one. But we don't.

Our new Bosch diswasher seems to sometimes have water standing in the bottom of it after a cycle. I'm assuming this is backflow from the sink. If that is indeed the source of the water, then...

1. Shouldn't a dishwasher have some kind of backflow prevention "one way" flap? Can we install such a thing?

2. Would adding a second high loop help stop the backflow (our DW hose is very long, so we can make a second loop)? I'm having trouble visualizing the physics involved here, and determining whether the water would have sufficient force to backflow up a second loop (if the sink faucet is not being continually run).

Thank you for any advice you can offer to the air-gap-less among us! I realize that one air gap is better than a high loop. But beyond that, would 2 high loops be better than one?

:-)

Francy

Comments (9)