SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Pavilion/pergola. What is a good size? Uses?

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

Hello all,

We are in the middle of a new house and pool build, and I would like to add a pavilion or pergola (have not decided which yet) at one end.

The pool is a rectangular 14' x 45' and borders a line of trees and is on a sloping lot. The house and pool are both of formal design.

What I would like to accomplish with the design is something that can be used as an outdoor living space, but I already will have a large screened in porch that the pool is alongside, and a wooden deck that overlooks the pool, so I was trying to figure out a way to make this space different.

I don't want an outdoor kitchen (although I think they are very cool), and I will already have a dining table and seating group on the screened porch, another table and chairs on an ipe deck off the bedroom overlooking the pool, and lounge chairs on the pool deck.

I was thinking about maybe one of those hanging beds or a platform bed with mosquito netting and a ceiling fan above which would make an inviting spot for a nap after being in the pool?

But I also like those outdoor fireplaces I have seen. Pretty neat. Do they run on gas or real wood? Do people find that they use those?

The pool equipment is going to be about 10' to one side of this structure, and I was thinking a fireplace on the same side might help to block out the sight/sound of that. Thoughts?

I sometimes get something thinking it looks neat, and then do not use it. I want to avoid that. Seems like either the bed OR the fireplace and some seating would be good, but not both?

What size are your outdoor structures? What do you use them for? Pictures? Ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)