SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattledoggie

ABS sink waste line question

14 years ago

I had a plumber relocate a sink drain line for me. The original set up had a 90 deg T fitting just behind the wall. A piece of ABS protruding from the side of the T through the wall was where the sink drain connected and the upper part of the T went up through the roof for the vent.

I wanted to move the sink waste outlet about a foot to the right, so he cut out the original T, and installed a new one turned 90 deg to the right and bored a 2 1/4" hole through the wall stud to move the drain over.

Now here is the problem. In doing all this he also moved the copper water supply lines and in order to get one of the copper lines to pass perpendicular across the ABS pipe he had to angle the ABS past the copper.

Usually when the ABS pipe is glued into the socket of the T, there is about a 3/4" engagement of the pipe into the socket of the fitting. But the plumber in an effort to create an angle at this joint, simply glued the pipe into the socket with only about a 1/4" engagement which gave him enough slop at this joint to create about a 10 deg angle.

When I questioned him about the lack of a fully engaged and guled joint at this point, he said it would not come apart. This is the upper part of the T and is the air vent portion, but it could have waste at this point if the drain were to back up. This joint is inside a wall and I am concerned about the long term integrity of this joint. Would a Fernco been a better choice here because it would have given enough flexibility to get around the copper or does this joint sound like it will be good enough given the nature of its use?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (3)