SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jas0n_gw

Cross venting ipe and low deck suggestions?

jas0n
17 years ago

I have spent hours leaning about ipe on this board and it has been extremely helpful, you guys are all very kind to help the newbies like myself and other out. Member of message boards on other topics tend to be much less forgiving :)

We are in the planning stages of a roughly 350 sq ft deck that will be quite close to the ground and built over a concrete patio with an 8x8 hot tub sitting on it (so removing the patio and re-grading isn't an option).

The door from the house is only 11 1/2" above the patio so it seems that we won't be able to build the deck as a direct walk out or the joists will be basically sitting on the patio, unless I am copletely missing something the best we could come up with was to build a landing big enough for a screen door to swing out and then one step up to the deck height of about 18". This door is near a corner of two walls and the deck will be built along both. There won't be much airflow under the deck in that corner. What do I need to do to vent the deck in that area to prevent cupping and warping of the ipe? Do you mean leave 1/8" gaps to cross ventilate or is there more to it than that? Does letting the ipe sit on site for a couple weeks help it cure and prevent these issues?

Oh, it's going to be surface drilled, construction adhesive, screwed and plugged with a PT frame. I live in seattle so water is an obvious concern.

Comments (11)