SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soundstage28

Normal Water Evaporation for So Cal?

soundstage28
16 years ago

Hi ---- I'm getting conflicting opinions on something and thought you pros may be able to help me.

I live in the Los Angeles area and my pool measures approx 20" x 40", about 8-9 ft deep. My water level goes down approx 1.5"-2" each week, which to me, seems like a lot. I've had people tell me it's the hot weather, wind etc etc and I've kept a close eye on it measuring with tape on the water tile. No big difference regardless of weather (unless it's mid-summer) - I brought out a leak detection "expert" who pressure checked everything, no leaks. He said the pipes are tight as a drum, as is the spa plumbing. I also did the "bucket test" where you fill a bucket with water and set it next to the pool and compare the evaporation. Pool loses water, bucket doesn't, although the leak guy told me it's a baloney test due to the water volume... He also told me a main drain leak is very rare.

My question is: how much do others lose per week in their pools, and any ideas on where to look next for leaks? (if 1.5" per week is indeed too much)

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

David

Comments (3)