SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clover8

Green hair from Copper leaching in Water!

clover8
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought a circa 1911 colonial with all original plumbing about 6 months ago. At the time of the water tests, everything was fine. A little on the acidic side, but fine otherwise. Copper levels were low. The house also had been vacant for several months, so not much movement of the water. And yes, we have well water.

Anyways, when I moved in, I discovered pinhole leaks in my copper pipes that run underneath my concrete bathroom floor, which sits above the wood runners in the downstairs hallway. Well, the plaster in the hallway right below the bathroom starting staining badly, and leaking. So, my boyfriend and I took it down (it actually came down pretty easily - there were 3 layers of plaster/blue board/wall board). Took it all down to the rafters so we could have the copper pipes fixed.

The plumber came over and replaced all the old copper pipes with new copper pipes, just underneath the bathroom, not the copper pipes leading all the way down to the first floor and into the basement.

Well, since then, our water has turned blue, has stained our tub and sink (old white porcelin) blue, and my hair - blue/green. I have to have my hair chemically stripped every 4 weeks (and I'm not one for the hairdressers) just to get out the copper. I also received an eye opening comment from a co-worker who said she secretly loved my new green-blue highlights. That was it for me. I'm determined to get this problem taken care of.

We also have copper plumbing to the kitchen, laundry room, and downstairs bathroom. Our dishwasher leaves a cloudy film on all the dishes. Even washing the wood floors with this water leaves a cloudy film, and I have to go over the floors with a dry towel to lift it up.

My question is this: Should I go replace all the copper pipes in my house with PVC or another recommended material? Or should I invest in a calcite neutralizer for now to hook into the downstairs water tank.

I recently had my water tested again (through a state certified water lab) that told me I have very high copper and the water was very acidic (5.9). So, what do you do...treat the acidic water that is causing the corrosion in the copper pipes, or change the copper pipes to PVC? or both?

Keep in mind, I'm on a tight budget. I don't mind ripping down a wall or two in order to take care of this problem - it's at the point where we want to take showers over our neighbors house. We are both very handy and can put back walls and repair/replaster/repaint them ourselves.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Comments (8)