SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythak

Help: Treat Old PT Pine in Shade?

mythak
15 years ago

We must get our decks sealed as soon as possible, but I am stuck on what product to order. I have researched this and other sites and have learned a lot, but still not sure which products currently available would be best for our particular situation. I would be so grateful for your advice.

It looks like TWP remains in favor after a few years discussions but is it right for an old, repaired pressure-treated pine deck located in hot, humid, shade?

Would a penetrating oil semi-transparent stain like TWP 100 be appropriate if mold and algae are issues?

Also, is this type of stain forgiving for a poorly-kept pine deck with boards of various ages and condition? What about for cracking handrails?

We live in a small town with access to SW, Lowes and HDepot. Calbot, Olympic or SW products are convenient, but having a product that is forgiving to apply and maintain and likely to last longer and wear better is ultimately more convenient even if it involves ordering.

Here is more information, if anyone could help.

The deck is pressure treated pine that was in lousy shape last year before we stripped it.... and didn't get a sealer back on. So this spring we were properly punished with deeper cracks, splinters, cups, bows... the works. Five years ago, we had a hot tub removed, so some of the wood is newer and smoother, and we just bought some more replacement boards in the new non-arsenic "severe weather" pressure treated pine. This leaves us with three different surfaces: horribly cracked and rough, smoother but beginning to crack and crack-free, smooth new wood (that seems almost moist_.

To complicate the matter, we also have to do the front deck, a deck with slightly different problems. Though also an old pine deck in the shade, the deck boards at least have a protective coat of stain/sealer. However, we hated the color so much that we never did the handrails and balusters after stripping the whole thing three years ago. Thus we have an ugly, clay orangy Wolman's semitransparent (non-oil) on the deck floor and unfinished, furry cracked, mildewed handrails and balusters.

Looks like we may have to do some sanding on top of the cleaning and "rebrightening."

As you can probably guess from the above information, we are two homeowners short on money (an sense) and in need of a forgiving product to buy us time. We can't afford to replace the deck, but can't afford to neglect it any longer either.

I would be most grateful for any advice about products appropriate for a bad deck in North Carolina.

Amy

Comments (4)