SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmaurry

Limestone a bad idea for counter?

jmaurry
11 years ago

I just came back from DaVinci, a local retailer of beautiful marble and other stones. I fell in love with a honed gray "Cote d Azur" limestone I thought would look beautiful with my white shaker cabinets. I had previously thought I would go Ceasarstone, as I want a modern clean look and easy maintenance. However the limestone drew me in and I think it could still look modern and great with the cabs.
The sales person (designer), said all i had to do was seal it and I was good to go. She said the honed surface was better.
I come home and start researching limestone and find out it's soft, porous, etc. etc. I cook, my kids like to cook, I don't want to worry about my counter. Is it true if it's honed and sealed it's easier to maintain? Or should I run from limestone?
Is there another stone that may look similar (med gray) that I haven't considered? I don't like the movement of granite. I like something more subdued and neutral.
I have read through all the posts on marble, granite, but don't see much on limestone.
Thanks so much!

Comments (20)