SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladoladi

CPVC v. Copper

ladoladi
13 years ago

I have a very short question but I will try to give as much background info as possible. We are renovating our home in north central florida. It is a 1987 currently fitted with all copper piping. We decided to install an instant hot water heater - and we were convinced to put it outside. I think that was a mistake but that is for a different thread. Anyway, the plumbers used CPVC. They really didn't ask us if we had a preference, they just did it. This was run outside and through the attic. The supply lines eventually run down into the concrete slab in the kitchen. We need to move these a few inches in order to make the new oven fit (it was originally installed all messed up and they worked around it with cabinetry - we are essentially moving some pipes about 3" so that they are inside the wall where they come out of the slab). So they are using CPVC here also, which will be covered in concrete tomorrow morning. and our oven and cabinets placed on top of flooring (wood).

My unprofessional inclination would have been to just stick to one kind of piping in the house. Now it might be too late, but maybe not. There is still plenty of more work to do (re-hooking up sinks and stuff) and I can still decide on what goes in there, at the very minimum. But once the concrete is poured there is no going back.

Does anyone want to weigh in on whether we should switch back to copper or keep going with CPVC? My main concerns are: health reasons, fear of cracking due to weather, fear of releasing chemicals or breaking due to heat in the attic, fear of cracking under the concrete, fear of bad joints leaking under the concrete.

I feel like we really messed up by not researching this earlier, we just sort of took the advice of our plumbers.

Comments (4)