SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Move lighting or hide holes behind pictures?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

OK, I felt this deserved a new thread. Here's the situation. I designed my new house with chandy 5" offcenter to allow for china cabinet against one wall. Later I emailed the builder and said let's add sconces for ambient lighting (had 2 weeks to design house, 1 was spent on kitchen), put first one 4.5ft from the china cabinet wall and the other about 4.5ft from that one (it was late at night and I didn't specify distance from other wall in 13 ft room). Figured that would more or less center chandy b/t the sconces. The plans came, there were problems in other areas, and I didn't really notice that each sconce was 4.5ft from corner so symmetrically placed in room, not around chandy. Didn't even notice it until after the floor was laid (again, centered in room so compounded mistake). Even then, the chandy didn't look too far off from center of room and with rug and table I figured we'd never notice.

But once we got the furniture in and I looked at the holes in the walls (took down sconces to touch up paint), I realized that one of them was about 10" off! Edges of rug did not fall anywhere near the same distance from hole on either side! And if I move the table it'll be a little tight to china cabinet, and I *really* notice the 5" or so difference over a 42" wide table.

So, do I rip apart the wall and move the one sconce to where it's supposed to be, do I hang pictures over the holes and live with just chandy for light, or do I move the chandy?

Here are actual measurements as far as I can tell with furniture and base/shoe in place:

Room shoe to shoe - 154.75" (so add 2" for 1/2" base and 1/2" shoe on each side, plus maybe a little for a gap, get about 13ft 1" not 13ft or 13ft 1/2" shown on plans).

Left hand sconce centered 53.75" from corner (wall, not shoe)

Distance b/t sconce centers - 48.5"

Right hand sconce - 53.5" from corner

Chandy (this is the hard part to measure now with furniture in place) - app 73.5" from one wall, 83 (.25?)" from the other.

How much room do I need to allow b/t table edge and china cabinet or other furniture/wall?

Comments (8)