SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorbiltkit

Please: Aesthetic help in a tricky situation.

honorbiltkit
14 years ago

I have been lurking on this forum for a year, and have learned a huge amount I would never have thought to ask about. Now I am nearing the point of having to act, and I would appreciate any suggestions -- or inspiration pictures -- anyone would be kind enough to contribute.

So, first the KITCHEN DILEMMA, then the BACKSTORY.

I am seeking guidance on paint color for cabinets and walls, as well as options for counter materials. The kitchen is basically 11' x 12', with 9' ceilings. It's original configuration can be seen at the link below. We are replacing the wall between the kitchen and the DR with a peninsula that allows seating on the DR side. Otherwise, everything will stay where it is: two windows, a side exit to the pantry/basement stairs, and a small chimney that will need to be dry walled around.

Because the house is to be a rental for several years, I am finishing the kitchen with an eye to how tenants as opposed to homeowners treat stuff. From craigslist I have bought a set of virtually new mid-range appliances and an enormous set of good quality cabinets with 42" uppers, four of which are glass-fronted.

The givens are that the floor will be the oak we found under several layers of linoleum and will match the floors in the rest of the house; and that the appliances are -- sigh -- black. My recycling-crazy contractor is willing to pull the cabinets next the the refrigerator out and otherwise try to mask its looming bulk.

I bought the cabinets -- which are archaic pickled maple -- with an eye to painting them a creamish or sagey color. I am not, however, finding any photos of small kitchens with black appliances and light cabinets that do not look a bit scary. (I am very big on light, so I have to say that the two kitchen windows face east and north, and that the south facing larger windows in the DR are darkened by the porch roof. The installed lighting in the kitchen will be the usual: recessed cans, undercounter task lighting, and pendants over the sink and the peninsula.)

My criterion for the counter material is that it be amenable to covering up a bit of hard treatment. To me, this means butcherblock stained cherryish or black, or a dark laminate finish whose damage can hidden with permanent marker. I am pretty open to backsplash ideas.

A year ago, I bought a 1922 Sears kit house with my retirement money, and I have been renovating it ever since. It is in many ways wonderful (see link to original catalog page below for a peek at the porch) and I am trying to give it the renovation the house itself deserves without bankrupting myself. I have invested primarily in the stuff people don't notice: lots of insulation, Space Pak AC installed, new windows,and the remarkably intact cypress clapboards to be patched, scraped, and repainted rather than replaced with vinyl.

Because of the slowly evolving real estate market, I am not sure what I will ultimately do with the house. For the time being, however, I am finishing it to be a rental property. For the kitchen, this means that I want it to be pleasant and well-designed, but that the appliances and cabinets are not what I would choose for myself.

Comments (19)