SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcwesley_gw

Lost plumbers snake down pipes HELP

dcwesley
14 years ago

Plumbing is SO not my area of expertise, so I will lkiley use ths wrong terms, but I am hoping somebody here can give me some advice on where to start.

Our 50 year old home is on a slab. Over the years the drain pipes have gotten rather sluggish. When they do my husband either pours some pretty heavy duty drain cleaner, or when that fails, he climbs onto the roof or our ranch home and uses a "power spinner" to work a 50-75 long snake down through the pipes, entering through the vent on the roof. (I am sure "power spinner" is not really the right name, but hope you get the idea.)

These methods use to help more, but over the past few years it has gotten worse, and our washing machine now backs up into the kitchen sink when it drains.

The last couple of times my husband has used the snake method he has used an even longer snake.

This afternoon he went onto the roof once again. After a lot of work he got the snake to pass the bend, and then worked the full length of the snake through the pipes. This time though he had a lot of problems getting it retrieved. (My guess is it coiled in the pipes.) Then - the big problem. Only half of the snake came back up. IT turns out that to make it 100' he had joined two 50' snakes together. (OK - SO the first thing you will all say is that was a bad idea. )

The good news is the washing machine is draining - at least for the time being. The bad news is we have a snake buried someplace in our pipes.

So what do we do now? Is there anything a plumber can do to help us? The "good" news (perhaps) is we are about three weeks from tearing apart our kitchen for a total remodel. Are we going to have to have our slab torn up?

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)