SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klabio

Porch Floor Framed Level

klabio
17 years ago

All houses have mistakes & here is mine: The builder framed the porch structure without any fall away from the house. The house is a T&M job and we all figured it out too late. I'm not interested in tearing out and starting over. I did the decking (traded material costs for labor costs to pay for the ipe) and went with 1x6 T&G Ipe. The issue is that when it rains the water hits on the outside foot or so & then builds up and slowly creeps towards the house. My gutters aren't up yet so I'm hoping that once they go on the amount of water hitting the outside edge will be greatly reduced.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

So here's my crazy idea for the experts to rip to shreds... Could a really gifted floor refinisher put just the slightest slope away from the house on the outer 2 feet or so? That way any water that would fall on the floor would tend to go away like it should? I probably have at least a 1/8" I could remove before hitting the screw heads. I figure I won't really pursue this plan until the gutters are up to see the effect they have. The problem may be much less once I have something catching all the water that hits the roof. This is a full wrap around porch so I get it on all sides.

Contrary to John Hyatt's advice the boards are tight and I have no slots in the tongues. I read that advice too late. I'm not looking to string my builder up here, just looking for any creative solutions out there.

I also wanted to show off what I did in front of my entry. This was my idea, which took about three days total. It will look much better once I get it cleaned up and finished in the spring.

Thanks to anyone with any advice...

Comments (2)