SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carybk

marble backsplash questions

carybk
13 years ago

Hi all-- I have taken a few months off now that we are in our kitchen and the only remaining decisions are under-cabinet lighting, backsplash, wall color, and after-market inserts for drawers. We are moving things in from the garage gradually and experimenting with new locations for things. It feels great, and my few major regrets are things where for some crazy reason I ignored the GW consensus or did not do enough research to understand what the consensus was in time.

For the backsplash: I would most love to get a single slab of marble for the backsplash behind the stove, and then do marble tile elsewhere, either in full or as a low strip with paint above. BUT I read a recent post with people saying that they used cookie sheets or foil to protect their marble backsplashes behind their stovetops. As much as I love marble, I prize function and efficiency and do not want a backsplash that we have to protect with a separate step. Does anyone have a marble backsplash that they do NOT protect? How has it held up? I was thinking I might need to focus on Vermont Danby marble as it seems to be so non-porous-- are there other similar non-porous marbles and a way to identify them?

Comments (24)