SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
umsteadrunner

How to prevent frozen line for exterior mounted hot water heater

umsteadrunner
9 years ago

Our home is 2 years old. The Rinnai on-demand hot water heater is mounted on the north side of the home and the supply line freezes when temperature dips below 20 degrees F or so.

There is only a couple inches of the supply line visible between the house and heater and it is insulated but not heated. The supply line runs into an unfinished/ undeated basement area where the winter temperature is probably in the 40's or 50's.

We have quickly resolved the issue with a hairdryer the 2 times it froze and have let the water trickle a couple other times preventing it from freezing but would like a better solution.

I read that the heat tape should not be installed through the exterior wall so I can install it inside the unfinished basement or on the exterior of the home. The piping is PEX.

Option 1
I could heat the supply line to sufficient temperature prior to it exiting the home. This would hopefully prevent the freezing by keeping the water pipe warm enough so that it won't freeze in the couple of inches of pipe outside the house. Perhaps this could be on a timer or I could have an externally mounted thermostat to trigger it.

Option 2
I could install a short distance of heat tape around the exterior supply line with a thermostat so it will heat the exterior portion only when temperatures fall below freezing

Option 3
Is there a heat tape which can be safely run through the exterior wall?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (4)