SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Water Boy Says 'Stickem Up!'

sniffdog
16 years ago

This is a cross post from the Building a Home Forum. I was in such a panic - I didn't think to check here first, but I did a search on the plumbing forum after I posted and hit a motherload of information.

Thank you all so much for posting this information on Iron Removal and Water Softners. I copied my original post at the bottom of this very long (I appologize in advance) post. Just so you know I am very constrained on budget. I received an estimate of 8 thousand dollars from Water Boy (see my post below) for a Iron filter and Water softner  that is not going to work. I decided (based on all your inputs) that I should add both an Iron Filter and Water Softner now (now I know why my new stainless steel coffee pot that we have been using at our rental house has all these stains on it!). I have a few remaining detailed questions left  so I was wondering if you might help me out?

From what I have gathered from the many posts I have read on this forum , a very good water softner with Fleck valve will run me between 500 and 800 dollars for the unit - install shouldnÂt be too much since these are fairly simple to hook up. The only questions remaining are 1) do I get a one or two tank unit and 2) what capacity (both GPM's and grains). Water Boy measured 9 grains per gallon hardness plus estimated another 10 grains per gallon due to the iron (the sheet he gave me took the 2 PPM iron and multiplied it by 5 to get 10 grains per gallon) for a total of 19 grain per gallon. If we use 1500 gallons per week (which Water Boy estimated for 2 people plus dishwasher and washing machine) - is that 28,500 grains per week? So should I be looking for something in the 30,000 to 40,000 grain range? (I am still trying to figure out the capacity ratings of these units)

My well has a 19 GPM flow rate - does that mean my water softner should run at the same service flow rate? What if I only put in a 9 GPM unit (these cost less than the higher flow rate systems). I don't have a pool or outside jakuzzi tub. We do have a steam shower with 2 shower faucets and 3 wall jets as well as a bubble tub. We would only use the shower or the tub - not both at the same time. For the shower, we might have 2 shower heads running at the same time, and the plumbers configured the diveter on the one shower so that we can run the 3 jets or the shower head - but not both at the same time (due to flow rate). I would appreciate an input on this.

On the iron filter, it appears that Pyrolox filters are the way to go. The only issue I see are the filters I have located on-line have service flow rates in the 5 to 7 GPM range. My well is 19 GPM. Seems like that might be an issue - need some help here. I also noticed that the Pyrolox filters on-line were single tank units - do they make dual tank pyrolox filters? Do I need a dual tank unit?

Finally - can anyone recommend a good on-line source if I decide to buy the units myself. I have found 3 - one in CA, one in IL, and one in OH.

It looks like I can buy both the Pyrolox and Fleck systems on-line for a max of $1800 plus shipping. That is a heck of a lot better than Water boy's estimate of 8 Grand.

I am also going to visit a local water treatment company that is in the town where I am renting. Turns out that this town has terrible water (a lot of iron and very hard water) - so water treatment systems are quite common. I would prefer to buy a turnkey solution from someone local - as long as it reasonable.

Thanks for all the help. The GW has saved me yet again!

Copied Post from Building a Home Forum "Water Boy says Stickem up"

I had my water tested today and Roy (actually he introduced himself as Roy Roy the Water Boy) says that our water is potable and Ph level is neutral  thatÂs the good news. Then Roy tells me that the iron content is elevated (2 parts per million) and that will cause staining of toilets and maybe clothes. He tells me that to remove the iron  and other sediments  I need a filtration system that will cost me (gulp) 5 GRAND! Then he tells me that even though there is no sulfur present at this time  it is common in the mountain range I live in to have sulfur odor. The specific readings from the water test are listed below. I was wondering if any well water experts could answer the following questions:

- Is 2 parts per million too high an iron level?

- The well was dug over 4 years ago and was recently activated for the stone masons to mix up mortar (so usage was very low). Should we expect iron levels to go up or down as we start to use the well more.

- Is there a lower cost alternative to the Rain Soft OxyTech system  which Roy says is recommending and says is the best (of course he is a re-seller).

- Is Roy Roy the Water Boy bull sh*tin me or what? I mean he charges 50 dollars to do the water test  but that isnÂt how he makes his money. This reminds me of the Kirby vacuum sales approach where they offer you a free carpet cleaning and then try to explain why you must own a $2500 vacuum.

Well and water test details

Depth: 350 feet (we live on a mountain, a lot of limestone and other rock)

GPM: 19

Comments (3)