SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Pup wanders when eating

sweeby
15 years ago

We're entering into our 4th week with a now 16-week old female Labrador Retriever puppy (named Reilly) and things are going very well for the most part. But lately, she's started wandering away from her food bowl while eating, and this is making for messy floors and trip hazards, so I'm wondering if there's something we can do to improve her "table manners."

We feed her twice per day - about 8:00 am and 4:30 pm in a sheltered spot in the kitchen. We chose these times because they're times when someone is sure to be in the kitchen (but not hectic pre-school, dinner-cooking times)and we can provide constant supervision. Her food and water bowls sit on a mat in a visible but traffic-protected spot under an overhang. The water is always out, her food bowl goes out for 15-20 minutes at meal times, then is set out of reach until the next meal time.

The first few weeks, she would wolf down all her food (2 cups!) in 2-3 minutes flat; I'd give her a small second helping which she would generally eat at a more leisurely pace. Then when she was done eating or the bowl was empty, we'd go outside to eliminate, then play for a while, followed by quiet play and training time indoors, then rest in her crate beside me while I work. She seemed to be eating an awful lot, but the Pedigree bag listed that as the maximum for her age, and since she seemed a bit thin to start...

But lately, she'll only wolf down the first quarter of her food or so, and then pick at the rest. By 'pick at it', I mean she'll take a bite, wander off 15-20 feet to eat that bite in the living room, then wander right back to her bowl, get another bite, wander off again to a slightly different spot, and repeat. If I let her eat at this pace, she'll finish all her food in 30 minutes or so unless she gets distracted by our other dog. If she gets distracted, I put up the food. In the past week, I've put up many a half-full food bowl (which is OK with me - I suspect she may have been eating too much at first), but this 'wander off to chew' behavior is messy and inconvenient and seems a bit too 'alpha dog'. I worry about someone tripping over her, or about her chewing on something off-limits (there are no doors or even doorways we could fence) when I am across the counter in the kitchen. I've thought about putting away her food bowl the second she wanders away, but don't want to start a food insecurity that doesn't exist now, and she's still pretty young to go without.

Anticipating some questions - I believe she was slightly underweight when we got her (rescue), so she may have been underfed at some point. But she has grown a lot and gained a lot of weight in the month we've had her, and is now be very slightly on the chunky side. (Not overweight, but solid.) Her personality is confident and assertive with a nice balance of playful energy and calm. Potty training is going well since she is either supervised or crated all the time she is indoors and is only left outside unsupervised for brief periods.

So any ideas?

Comments (20)