SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bassoonicmayhem

Toilet won't flush; Maybe affecting sink/tub

bassoonicmayhem
11 years ago

I'm having a plumbing issue. I'd like to know if it sounds like this is something I'll be able fix, or if my family will need to contact our rental agency so that we can be referred a plumber. I've tried looking up a solution online, but maybe I'm not wording my problem right, I'm not sure.

My brother has always a tendency of using more than his share of the toilet paper roll, if you know what I mean. But recently, the toilet I share with him has had a difficult time flushing at all. When he ends up clogging the toilet now, plunging it does absolutely nothing. Instead, a gargling sound can be heard in the his/her sinks. Most concerning of all now, that sound can be heard in the bathtub's drain as well.

Right now, the toilet won't flush completely. It will drain to what 'looks' normal, but as soon as you flush it fills up to the rim of the toilet bowl and sits there for at least twenty minutes, draining painfully slow. I don't know if it's because my brother used too much paper or if it's because of the house itself. Like I mentioned before, we are renting this house and it's at least thirty five years old.

I'd be really grateful if someone could give me an answer. I've never lived in a house where a gargling sound comes from the sinks and tub drain when you try plunging the toilet and I've lived in about twelve different homes. Maybe it's because its an 'older' home, but it sounds odd to me.

Comments (7)