SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_kitchen_gw

Can someone help me decorate my formal living room?

Melissa-Kitchen
10 years ago

I have searched high and low for the perfect furniture for our living room and I am getting very frustrated. I can easily have the "perfect" furniture made but deciding on what is "perfect" is the hard thing. It's a rectangluar room (19 x 12), with french doors (leading to dining room) on one end, a bay window and another opening which leads to the foyer, so finding furniture to compliment the shape is a challenge for me.

I've attached a picture of the living room from the real estate listing. The previous owners had almost nothing in the room. I have since removed the electric fireplace because it was taking over too much of the room. I'll post a picture in the next posting of the furniture that I currently have in there. Everything is going, so no need to work around the current furniture, art work, coffee table...

I have three young boys and I don't want a living room that is out of bounds for them. I grew up in a house where I was only allowed to sit in the formal living room on Christmas morning. I don't want that for our house. The boys will be in there and we have a tv in there too. Yes, the horror of a tv in the living room!!!

I am thinking of a sectional sofa. Anything that I choose has to be leather. I want it to be kid friendly.

So, any suggestions?

Comments (32)

• teacats
    10 years ago

First -- consider taking a bunch of photos around the whole room -- and post them here on your thread (basically you start a free album at Photobucket; slide your cursor over the photo; click and then copy the HTML code that appears; come back and paste the photos right into the body of a message here .....)

Second -- could you give us a bit more detail on how you want to really use the room; colors that you like; decor styles that might appeal to you in your home .....

For example (JUST an example) :

a)you COULD place a really nice cabinet or credenza in the front bay window area -- add a lamp (or two) on top and use it as a bar... OR you could add a very pretty desk area there OR simply add a couple of armchairs and a table between them ....

b)You could add bookshelves (maybe white ones) along one of the walls -- which could hold books, photos, etc.

Just some thoughts -- hope you don't mind ....

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I have in there now. I can't wait to get the leather sofas out. They're old and the leather is cracking. I temporarily have the tv on an old piece of furniture but will have a proper console made or I'll buy a floor model that I have my eye on. In this picture I have it on a server, on the wall that I think that would work best.

• Related Discussions

Can you help me stage my formal living room?

Q

Comments (15)
    -I would get rid of the tv, stand, and the other kids stuff. -Rearrange your furniture so it is more inviting. I think at least one peice of seating needs to be at angle in the room. I'm not sure how this would look, but you might even pull the the couch over to the side so it is under the stairs. The chair might look better if it were angled into the corner where you are walking into the dining room. I think furniture looks better in groups of three. Do you have another chair or loveseat, you could put in the room? A small table by the chair might look nice. I'd move stuff around in the room until it looks right. It might not be the most comfortable for living, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do to get it sold.-I think you need more height in the room to add interest. -I would put the dried twig arrangement on a plant stand and maybe adding s few pieces with color into the arrangement. -I like your fern, but I think it needs to be moved so it is in the line of sight where you first glance into the room. I might add a couple of other nice size plants with a little bit of height into the room too. -I don't think your picture has enough presence on the wall. You need something bigger and with color. -I think you need some colorful accents like pillows. -I like your curtains. I think they add appeal to the room.
    ...See More

help me design my formal living room!

Q

Comments (12)
    The room is a dramatic size, so can take some large, interesting pieces. Let's start with the fireplace, which looms over the room. Before you buy new furniture, hang a substantial raw wood mantel on the fireplace wall to break it up. Place a large, beautiful skyskape over the mantel, which will echo the outside sky visible through the flanking windows. Then pull one of the neutral colors from the painting for your sofas. More streamlined sofas could be in a beige linen, blue pillows, maybe a blue print rug. Do fill your fireplace with a huge armful of birch logs to lighten that side of the room--kind of a sky and earth effect. Make sure the rug is oversized to balance out the height of the room and all that flooring acreage. A very large, wide modern atomic pendant light that gives the effect of a mobile would look amazing in the middle of the room.
    ...See More

formal living room - decor help?

Q

Comments (7)
    You have a great start but you need to ground the space, not force the eye up. A properly sized rug would definitely help, adding patterned or heavily textured sofa pillows would help as well. The mirror seems a little high and as you said, not very interesting. A large piece of art would look better in that space. Can you share a photo of the other side of the room? Do you have another spot for the desk?
    ...See More

Can someone help me decorate my bathroom?

Q

Comments (47)
    I would probably try to do vertical stripe patterns on anything in that room to make it look taller, and definitely get a shower curtain that goes all the way to ceiling instead of the standard 72" ones because that will just lower the ceiling in an already small bathroom, but that's just my opinion.
    ...See More
  • Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your quick response. I was trying to upload more pictures and you beat me to it. :)

View from bay window area

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View from foyer

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teacats, we have a nice office on the other side of the foyer, so I don't think that I'd put a desk in there.

A nice table/credenza in the bay area is a good idea but as you can see in the first picture, the window almost goes from floor to ceiling so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to block it with a table. I did see a nice sofa table though. I thought that it would look good right behind the loveseat part of a sectional but maybe the window area is a better location.

I like your idea of two chairs in the window area but I'd like to have a sofa and a loveseat in the room or a sectional, so I don't know if I would have the space to do that. I like your perspective and suggestions, so keep them coming!

We would mainly use this room as an additional sitting area/tv spot for our family. We have a family room off of our kitchen, where we spend most of our time, and a finished basement filled with the kids' toys, video games, tv... where the boys play. For the formal living room, we'd use it for DH and I in the evenings when the kids are watching tv in the family room. My oldest son spends time in there after school reading and watching tv. He is older than his little brothers and likes escaping from them in there.

I don't want anything super modern. The house was built in 1990, so I don't think that modern would fit the style of the home.

For colors, I am thinking neutral brown/taupe/creams. It has oak flooring and the foyer is also oak so I am thinking that something neutral would be best.

A picture of the foyer from the real estate listing, to give you an idea of the tile that's near the living room.

This post was edited by Melissa-Kitchen on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 9:54

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking of ordering this console for the wall where the fireplace used to be. I'd have it made in a stain to compliment the sofas that I cannot decide on.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the sectional that DH wants. It's a perfect shape for the room...but it's cream. I don't know if cream leather is a good fit for our family. I know that leather can be wiped down but it still worries me.

The positive for this sectional is that it's a floor model, so it's quite discounted and ready now. I'm impatient and would rather not wait 6-8 weeks. It's also very comfortable. I've been like Goldilocks, finding couches too hard, too soft, too reclined...

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • bsmith1
    10 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't do a sectional in this room. It feels like it would cut the room off. I would do a regular sofa, and then use the bay area as a separate seating area. Could be two smaller chairs facing the room with an end table between, could be two chairs facing a chess or game/drawing table for the kids, or even a settee. I wouldn't want to lose that area as its own special nook in the room.

Lovely home!

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with bsmith1. I think a sectional would take over the room and close in that area. It appears that the room is too narrow to carry it off. I think a regular sofa wouldn't stop your eye and the overall picture would be more cohesive.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I removed the loveseat and brought in two chairs that I had in our office. Is this the look that you're thinking of?

Do you think that two small recliners would work there? I saw these this week in red and brown - too big? They're not huge recliners but the back is high.

{{!gwi}}

I love the look of just the sofa and two chairs...I'm just a smidge concerned about the amount of seating when the five of us are sitting there. If I had a recliner, DH would be happy. I just don't want to buy it if it's too big.

This post was edited by Melissa-Kitchen on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 15:30

• bsmith1
    10 years ago

You could still put another chair on the other side of the sofa (the side farthest from the bay). It might slightly block one side of the french door, but you only need to one side totally clear to have enough space to walk through, yes? Designers do it all the time.

• chispa
    10 years ago

You have a playroom and family room, which I assume have child friendly materials. Why not make this room a bit more "pretty"? There are so many contract/commercial fabrics and outdoor fabrics that can now be ordered for residential indoor furniture. I've seen a sumbrella fabric that felt like a soft chenille. Think outside the box and don't limit yourself to leather.

I did this recently and it made such a difference in the way the room turned out. We also have the 3 TV areas and boys!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I like the new arrangement! Add a rug and maybe if you need another chair on the office side.

• bac717
    10 years ago

As much as I like the sectional your husband wants, I have to agree with some of the others that your room may not be large enough for a sectional. What are the measurements of the room and the sectional? Maybe we are wrong and it could work. If you do go with a sofa instead of a sectional, I would look for a sofa in the same style as the sectional. Love that look!

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

The arrangement in the last picture looks good and practical. However, I would also pay attention to the lighting. If your son likes reading a book in that room, it would be great to provide some good lighting just for that.

Perhaps, a pair of swivel arm wall lamps on the wall above the couch? Home Depot and Lowe's have a selection of them, both plug-in and hard-wired. I've got a plug-in wall lamp above the couch in our family room like this one, but with a different metal finish:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plug in swivel arm wall lamp

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

Another lighting idea. In our living room upstairs we installed a directional spotlight above two armchairs that are right in the middle of the room. Our family likes to read in those chairs, so a good spotlight was a must.

My father put up a light like the one in the link below but converted it to a plug-in by running the wire through a thin white glue-on wire channel on the ceiling to the wall outlet controlled by a wall switch. He ran the wall portion of the wiring around the window frame. It's basically invisible there, but I also have window draperies that help hide it. If you choose to hard wire a light like that, it could work well above the chairs in front of the bay window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern and sleek ceiling spotlight

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I agree about using two chairs and a sofa. Especially since this isn't the main TV room. My old LR was 12' x 20' and that's not very big. There were only four of us.

Having two chairs (and maybe a recliner) gives you a chance to rearrange the room when the mood strikes. With a sectional, you're pretty much stuck. Plus you have to sit by everyone. lol

Sectionals makes it hard to have a lamp next to you for reading or setting down a glass. Or even having your private space. I need my private space when I read.

I like what Chispa said about making this room a bit more pretty. Now is your chance to play around with color and fabric!

And be afraid of fabric sofa's! They clean so easily now. I raised two boys and nothing they ever spilled stained. I never used solid colors on my sofas, only prints. I do think leather furniture in a small room makes it look more cramped though.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I've been following this with interest because it's quite similar to my living room (which nobody likes to use except the dog), and I've also thought about a sectional. While the arrangement with the two chairs and the sofa looks nice, it doesn't seem very conducive to interaction between whoever sits on the sofa and the people on the chairs.
    The other question I have is whether such an open room is very practical for TV viewing. Do you find that you actually use it for watching TV?

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input! Yes, lighting is a huge issue in this room, actually in my whole house. I saw some wonderful lighting options today at a store that was going out of business but figured that I couldn't buy the lamps until I decided on the furniture and color scheme.

I guess that I shouldn't be afraid of color and fabric. I saw a funky red accent chairs today paired with a red sofa but I don't know if it was "us". I'm just so used to leather that I thought that was the route that I'd take again. We have leather in our family room and I have accent chairs in a different color. I guess the search is on for something prettier... I'll try to keep an open mind but the hubby is set on leather. Maybe I'll get leather sofa and then something bolder for the other 2-3 chairs.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

For those of you with a good grasp of space, would it work for the OP to use a sofa placed perpendicular to the tv wall (facing the french doors, I think) with a pair of (mismatched) chairs facing the sofa and a square coffee table between them? TV might need to be wall-mounted; or a very shallow piece beneath it? The pair of chairs in the bay window would be a separate seating area. I know this wouldn't be ideal for tv viewing but I think it would be ok. Foot traffic would go along the wall opposite the tv. We have this arrangement in our living room with a fireplace substituting for the tv. It's cozy and friendly.

• susieboomer
    10 years ago

I'm curious...where is the Kitchen in relation to the LR and the DR? How big is the DR? Just wondering if those two rooms could be flip-flopped - would it make sense at all?

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, I'm actually sitting in the room now and had to move one of the chairs to the other side of the sofa because I couldn't see the tv from either one. I am not at all comfortable. However, I didn't buy these chairs to be comfortable and sat on for hours at a time. They are just for our office and are rarely used. I don't know how much time we'd spend in here if I had to sit on this chair. (Yes, I could sit on the couch with my husband but like oakleyok said, we like having our own space).

My husband also was concerned that it's not really set up for interaction with the chairs there since everyone seems to be looking at the tv, not at eachother. He's still hoping for a sofa and loveseat or the sectional. I feel like the room has definitely opened up like this but if we're not comfortable watching tv, we will rarely sit in here - sad but true. I am at a stand still. I like the look but not for tv or talking. Maybe it can just look pretty. :)

To answer your question, we do use it for watching tv. I'd say DH spends about 25% of his tv watching time in here and my oldest spends an hour or two after school in here reading or watching tv. I don't come in here on my own. I prefer the family room because it's off the kitchen and I can see everything that's going on if I am cooking/getting a snack for the kids or any of the other million things I have to do in there. I also hate looking at the old furniture in here and that will hopefully be solved soon.

To answer the question about the sectional size, it was 120 inches long and 84 inches on the chaise side. So 10 feet by 7. The room is 19 x 12. The sectional would actually give me a little bit more room than the couch and loveseat that is presently in the room. It would take up much more room than a couch and 2 chairs.

• bac717
    10 years ago

In light of the measurements you provided, I think the sectional could work. Maybe you can use some blue painter's tape and "try" out the dimensions to see what you think. As far as light for reading, I could see a floor lamp to the left (as you are facing the sectional). Sitting in that corner with your feet up on the chaise section and having a light right over your shoulder would be great.

Do you have any plans to add any window treatments? Perhaps that's all you would need to finish off that space.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

scrookston, it's a pretty standard layout. You come in the foyer and the home office is to your right. The living room/dining room is on the left side of the house. They are the same width but the dining room is smaller. The dining room leads into the back of the house. Changing the living room and dining room would give me less space.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bac717, I have no plans yet for window treatments. The California shutters will stay for sure since I have matching shutters in the office (it has the same bay window) and throughout the whole house. The way the window goes out, it's about 2-3 feet added to the room in that area but a wall on top of the window, in line with the rest of the wall. I'd have to get someone in to see how curtains would work. I have no clue where to even hang them. I'll start with the furniture and see how it looks.

• loribee
    10 years ago

If you bought the sectional and it was too big, would they let you return it? Looking at the inspiration pic you provided, I think it could work. Add the cute area rug, patterned pillows and small, round coffee table as well. All of these can be really family friendly. :)

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Have you considered placing the TV above the fireplace? Just a thought. The narrow width of your room is a concern. I would not place a sectional and when choosing a sofa, you need something with a less overwhelming profile. Leather sofas typically have big arms.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ratherbesewing, I removed the fireplace from the room (and sold it). It was huge and made the room look even more narrow. (I think it was 22 inches deep, so I lost a foot of the room.) It was also very, very high so I couldn't put the tv up there. I wish that it would have worked but it didn't.

loribee, I don't know if I could return the sectional or not. It's not a special order but can you return furniture?

I have an appt with a designer this weekend. She's the only one in my area who carries the Lee Industries furniture that I have read about on this forum. Maybe she'll have some suggestions for fabric and furniture placement. So far, I'm just going to her studio to look at the sample furniture but I'll have her here if I like the Lee Industries furniture and it's not ridiculously expensive.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

• peegee
    10 years ago

I really wonder if having another living-room-looking space is what will be satisfying to you in the long run, as you have a family room you use all the time, and a basement playroom. I wonder if rethinking the space in a way that accommodates the uses you desire - quiet get-away - without duplication, may feel better. For example, your son likes to read - do others in the home like to read/like books? I can imagine a library-reading room with bookcases, possibly built-in, maybe with a built-in bunk, OR just several really really comfy swivel chairs with great lighting, and a tv mounted over or on top of another bookcase; if you entertain the the family room, you may not need room for a crowd in there ....built-ins wouldn't be fast, of course, but there are likely handsome premade units. Just a thought...

This post was edited by peegee on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:52

• nikkidan
    10 years ago

Most stores would have a 7 day return policy. I didn't read through all the posts, so i apologize if I'm repeating another suggestion. What about a sofa with a chaise lounge on one end instead of a sectional?

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm...peegee that sounds nice. I guess that this room would be a duplicate of the family room. That said, across the entryway is the office which has the club chairs and bookcases. It's not horribly inviting though.

I like that everyone is thinking outside of the box.

A friend came over yesterday and we rearranged all of the furniture (once again). We now have the loveseat in the bay window. It makes it far more comfortable than the club chairs. I then moved another chair from our family room into the corner. I'm going to live with it that way for a few days to see if I want another sofa and loveseat. At least this way, the room isn't cut up and everyone is comfortable.

I'm going to a designer in an hour to get pricing on the Lee sofas, loveseats, sectionals and relaxers. I'll see if any of these options are in my budget.

I will, however, give some more thought to the suggestions mentioned here. I am leaning towards a living room but people do have a point about it being a duplicate room. I don't spend any time in the basement (other than laundry and cleaning after the boys) so the living room would be a way for DH and I or my oldest son to have our own private space when the little ones are spending time in the family room. Once the kids are older, they will spend more time downstairs and perhaps we can transform the space on our next round of redecorating. Seeing as how I have 4, 6 and 10 year old boys, this furniture will not last a lifetime.