SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenough1

finding water treatment pro's and other q's ?

greenough1
10 years ago

Hi, we're starting a master bath remodel and are considering adding some sort of water treatment. we are on city water. the highlights from the latest report are: no iron, 100-400 ppm total hardness and chloramines.

currently we have a charcoal/particulate filter in the refrigerator that makes ice and provides drinking water that is good - side by side taste tests with bottled water on the family confirm this.

So a minimal solution for a whole house treatment might be just chloramine removal. (this might require backwashing so see below on the drain). we are considering softening to address water scale, but it brings in other issues such as adding sodium to the drinking water. no one is on a sodium restricted diet, but some out there say not to drink it. bypassing the fridge (the primary source of drinking water would also be hard due to the location of the fridge water supply.

I'm a scientist by training, but navigating the options out there as been difficult. In particular our house is not setup to just drop-in a softener. Plumbing will be required and I prefer to have a pro do it. Installation issues are:
* no drain is readily available in the location where the softener would go.
* cold water supply is hidden inside walls between where it enters the building (irrigation and fire suppression systems are already bypassed from the inside house plumbing) and where it enters the hot water tank. note that I see the water treatment equipment sitting next to the water heater on a existing large platform in the garage.
* access the drain stack for any system drains will require work and opening walls. the laundry room is adjacent to the proposed space in the garage, with a sink drain 4 feet away and a recessed washer drain 7 feet away.

no matter what option we choose for whole-house water treatment, we'll have to figure out the cold water supply. Working out a drain is another problem to solve.

now to options.
I've located a kinetico dealer that at least from feedback on the web seems to have a good reputation. I also know from comments here that they will be at the high end cost-wise, but if the dealer is good that's important for support into the future.

I have hit a roadblock finding a "water treatment professional" in my area that deals with industry standard equipment. Every guy I find and call they're either ecowater, hague, culligan, etc. my zip code is 94550, if anyone has direct recommendations. I prefer to not order online, but would if I can find a reputable plumber/installer for these systems. I do not trust the internet sales folks to properly size my system and want someone I can talk to who'll stand behind the install and the performance.

Sorry for the long note, so I guess I'm asking for help locating someone local to me who deals with industry standard equipment, as a counter to kinetico.

Also, I did find a place on the web (apswater dot com) added some possibly valuable information on so-called salt free conditioners, the ones based on filtersorb media that convert free Ca ions to crystals. they clearly state that these are *not* for residential applications. I spoke with a support guy there and he says is because of the inconsistent flow rates. they work great in front of boilers or in app's where the flow rate is consistent. any just wanted to share this last bit.

any and all advise is appreciated. Best, jeff

Comment (1)