SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ipvfletch

Pool just plastered!

ipvfletch
16 years ago

I'll get to pics in a bit, but first..

My pool/spa was plastered about 10 days ago and filled in about 11 hours time. The next night, in the early morning when we awoke, we found we lost like 10 inches of water.

The PB was all over it like white on rice, and "patched some holes" in the spa.

After that, the pool was refilled and all was well for about a week. It lost maybe an inch after that week, but that is normal for the evaporation, and also there is a small leak in the bonnet of the UV system, so while they were waiting for the new one to arrive, it was losing a couple of gallons a day, too.

In any event, all was fine for like 8 days and then we used the jacuzzi. I noticed the floor of the jacuuzi being really soft and almost spongy, like you could mush it around. I could jump in one spot and my wife could feel it in another bulge up. It was right around the overflow/return line for the spa (there's jets, there's an overflow line for the spillway water feature, and two drains all in the spa).

In any event, all was fine so I thought nothing of it, and still am unsure what to think of it.

So I went and refilled the pool 2 nights ago to get it way up to the 3/4" mark on the tiles, because it looks nicer when it's full.

Then the next day it was fine but by that afternoon I could see the water level was down some. Then by night, it was down a lot.

Then we wake up this morning and find the water level in the pool is down past skimmer, with plaster exposed!! *ugh!!*

So I call my PB and he says it is OK for the plaster to be exposed, it's been 10 days, and I believe him, so I wasn't freaking out, but the issue remains why is it leaking!??!

So we are here today looking at this, my PB will be here in a few mins, and I'm just trying to troubleshoot this.

I shut off the filtering system 100% now, and after 3 hours the spa is significantly lower. So I know the spa is losing some. It's about 1"+ per hour, maybe more.

The pool is not getting any lower (or higher) but it is hard to tell, and I'll know for sure later today probably.

So I don't know where in the spa the leak is, so we're letting it drain completely or else it should stop wherever the leak is, so we can find it on the 360' stopped water line and then patch it.

Else it may drain completely if it is where I suspect it could be (bottom around the overfill 2" return line).

I also have a fear that my scupper (waterfall embedded into raised beam/wall) is seeping. Basically, they never plastered the inside of the scupper, so it is just raw gunite in there. Of this I'm pretty confident, but I can't see in the crack and know for sure. My PB says they plastered it even though I watched them cut the pipe and then put the coping over it, but my PB seems to know for sure -- even though he was NOT there when they did it (I was).

In any event, I do have a fear my scupper is seeping water, because my raised beam/wall is showing soak indications in the stone around the scupper..

So then I'm thinking if it is the scupper, and it is soaking into the raw gunite around the scupper and onto the backside of the pool beam/curviture, then that could be a lot of water lost to the backside of the pool gunite, right?? Worse yet, I worry that wet backside of gunite could be a new home for mildew and mold..

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!?!??!?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR READING THIS (LONG) POST!

Progress Pics: http://www.ipvfletch.net/pool

Regards,

Kevin

Comments (10)