SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mama2c

White cabs, dark counters, what floors (and on a budget!)?

16 years ago

We are giving our kitchen a facelift this summer. Eventually we'd like to do a total gut overhaul, but it's just not in the budget for a long time. The kitchen has dark oak cabinets with standard raised panel doors that are salvagable - we are going to go through the tedious process of filling the grain and painting BM White Dove (thanks to nodirthere for detailed instructions and inspiration). We are also going to replace the laminate countertops and are planning on sticking with laminate, probably Formica Basalt Slate. My inspiration kitchens include those of susanandmarkw, hoffman, and bikey.

I am really stuck on ideas for flooring. We currently have a really horrible vinyl that has to go. I'm not opposed to sticking with vinyl, if I could find something that looks decent and coordinates with white cabs and dark counters. One problem I'm having is that three rooms border our kitchen. The study has carpet, the dining room has hardwood (original), and the foyer has slate (original). I'm afraid of going with hardwood or slate, because I think it probably won't match the bordering rooms and will look weird. Also these materials are expensive and we wanted this to be a budget remodel in case we end up tearing it out five years down the road. OTOH, what if I keep the kitchen indefinitely? I want to like my choice and not curse the floor every time I walk in there. All of the inspiration kitchens I see either have hardwood or slate.

Anyone have a suggestion? I feel like I've hit a roadblock here.

Comments (16)