SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yesdear_gw

Ruh-Roh! Expired Contractor's License

yesdear
16 years ago

DW and I were ready to sign on the dotted line tomorrow with a well-recommended GC. Just checked the state contractor license board and found out that his license expired 3 months ago! What now?? The #2 candidate was pretty good but a bit more expensive. We like the expired guy better. Advice???

Comments (11)

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

I would start by just asking about it -- it's a perfectly legitimate question on your part. Just inquire, saying you noticed it had expired and wondered if it might just be an oversight? (which it might well be, especially if he's well recommended and has been busy?) You ought to be able to judge pretty easily by his response whether it was just something he forgot about... I'd worry more if it were expired by a much longer period. (On the plus side of this, if you use him, he's forewarned up front that you pay attention to details!)

• nuccia
    16 years ago

On the advice of someone I trusted, I hired a mason to build some stone retaining walls for our new construction, also because he was the lowest bid. Before he started, I checked with the state and found his license had expired a year previous and that there was a lawsuit pending. When I called the relevant office, they would not give me specifics, but basically said I should be very careful in hiring someone whose license had expired. I asked the contractor about it; he told me the lawsuit was because a client had insisted he do certain cement work in January against his advice, and now it had cracked. He also said he had sent in his licensing fees the previous week and would be receiving it soon. When I asked to see his license application as well as his insurance papers, he backpedaled and said he'd get them to me. The next day he appeared with the paperwork I requested, but I noticed they were both dated that day, so I knew he was stretching the truth.

I hired him anyway, knowing I would have to keep a close eye. When he started, he added $2000 to the estimate because he said the walls were longer than what had been measured out before, and I went along because I thought he had a point. The first wall went up fine, so I relaxed and eased up on my hovering. When he said he was finished, however, I pointed out that the third and most important wall which bounded our patio was not as tall as we had specified and besides, it did not form a smooth curve, but had a slight jog.

He then had a 3 hour temper tantrum, (much to the bemusement of the other subs) but I held my ground and refused to pay him the balance until he went back and made the wall taller. I suspect that his partner (a retired mason who probably provided the cash needed) was the voice of reason and convinced him to do what I asked.

The wall was OK, but not as lovely as I would have liked. The workmanship of the walls built when I stopped hovering was definitely inferior to the first. I got what I paid for.

• sue36
    16 years ago

In the state where my DH is licensed they are allowed to let their license expire for up to a year. He's let it expire more than once.

I would check with the state. If they say it expired for nonpayment then I would ask the contractor to update his license. Don't tell him you checked with the state. If you want an excuse, tell him your insurance company requires it.

Just so you know, being licensed is no guarantee. Our electrician was licensed in three states (no issues reported) and he was a complete fiasco.

• User
    16 years ago

If he's not licensed then it's likely he is also not insured. There were two times (I've done a lot of construction) I signed contracts with recommended guys who 'forgot' to bring their license and insurance info at signing. Both times I terminated the contracts (one before any work was done, the other after one day) because they never 'remembered' to bring it. It was interesting that the registered and first class termination letters I sent to the second guy at the address on the contract were returned to me - no such address. The first guy had terminated the business partnership that had been recommended to me and reformed with someone else and didn't bother to mention it so didn't have a current license.

I don't buy that he 'forgot' to renew his license for 3 months. That's his income.

Be careful.

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

In my state (CA) the expired contractor's license is a major no-no -- I believe the contractor can't charge more than $600 for any job and has to call him/herself a handyman.

• goldie5
    16 years ago

We had a similar situation happen to us. If you really want to go with #1, then ask him about it. Those applications for a license are usually done on a monthly basis to the state and it requires a audit by their accountant and significant paperwork on the part of the general contractor. He should get the ball rolling for the next round of applications to the state. Also, bear in mind that your bank might not even let you have a loan if your gc does not have the proper paperwork to prove his license for the price of your home, since there are multiple levels of licensure (and insurance) to cover different price points of homes. Do your paperwork research now to protect yourself and make sure that he has a proper license to build your house's price point.

• azstoneconsulting
    16 years ago

Grow some hair on those peaches and just ASK HIM what's up!!!

It's a perfectly legit thing to ask him, and maybe he just forgot
    to send in the check to the ROC for his yearly renewal...

Don't start demonizing the poor guy just Because his License
    is up for renewal...

Gosh... give him a freaking chance....

my .02 cents worth

kevin

• sautesmom Sacramento
    16 years ago

In California a non-contractor also can't sue you in court if you don't pay him, it's part of the State's punishment for people who are working illegally and who are supposed to be contractors. (Well, he can try and sue you, but the suit will be thrown out because only licensed contractors have a right to sue)

• yesdear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did speak with him. His explanation, which sounds plausible, is that he changed business addresses last year and somehow the renewal application did not not make it to him and he forgot to renew. He was pretty embarrassed and said this had never happened to him before in nearly 20 years in business. We are in California. One issue is that he can't pull permits right now. He plans to rectify the situation as fast as the bureaucracy will allow. We're still talking...

• ilovetn
    16 years ago

I would think twice about hiring him. In our state the homeowner can also be fined for hiring an unlicensed contractor. My DH is an electrical and a.c. contractor.

• yesdear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The GC is trying to expedite renewal of his license...an uphill battle in this rather backward state of 37 million people that offers neither phone nor web access for payment of CL fees(!).

Meantime, trying to save a day or so and already downtown for jury duty, I may have set a new record for paying building permit fees. Our city now requires a deposit of 3% of project value for waste diversion, in addition to already-steep BP fees. I wrote checks totaling $4500 today to pull permits for our 350 square foot project. Of that, $2600 is potentially refundable if we recycle at least 60% of the demolition debris and submit a timely report of same.

We will not sign with the GC until his license is legit and insurance is confirmed, then he will take over the building permit and get cracking...so to speak.