SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funyellow

Hills Prescription I/D FELINE questions

funyellow
13 years ago

Hi All,

I did a search but didn't find anything specifically discussing I/D, just K/D and others.

I've had my maine coon eight months and so far we've had at least 5 episodes of diahhrea (lasting a week or more.) Each time I brought him to the vet. After trying metronidazole, fortiflora, changing food to something higher quality, etc (fecal testing always comes back negative for parasites/infections) the vet recommended trying Hill's Prescription I/D.

I've just started giving it to him so I don't know how it will turn out, but I was wondering about this food. The ingredients in the Hills seem a bit lower quality than the Blue I was feeding him previously - with more fillers and the like.

Everything I've read here and elsewhere suggests that cats don't need rice and veggies, (which are present in Hill's) . I'm wondering if there's a non-prescription equivalent to Hills Prescription I/D that is more readily available? I wonder if i should be going totally grain-free. Just a thought.

Also, has anyone here had experience with the supplement "RuniPoo" (god I hate that name!)

Comments (15)